Talk

Advanced search

help me get motivated please

(5 Posts)
mrstimlovejoy Sat 08-Aug-09 09:56:37

i've let things slip over the last few weeks for various reasons and i can't seem to get motivated or organised.i feel like i'm going round in circles.i have 1 dd [4] who wants my attention throughout the day as soon as i start doing something.my dh works away most of the time and i work 3 days a week.by the time i get 5 mins to myself i can't be bothered with housework.i love my house and enjoy housework but just don't know where to start,sorry to ramble on thanks for reading

mrstimlovejoy Sat 08-Aug-09 17:25:24

anyone ?

Webme1 Sat 15-Aug-09 14:15:27

Don't see it as a big thing. Just do small things to start, you need less motivation that way. I was taught to always leave a room better than you found it. I find this really helps. So if you use it, put it away, spot something on the floor pick it up. If there are 20 toys on the floor, just do this each time you go into the room until they are gone. It will all help.

When you feel more motivated, tackle only one place at a time. It can be a whole room or an area of a room. Each time may help to motivate you for the next.

The area that most quickly gets out of hand is the kitchen sink area. So wash up after yourself, even one cup or plate, to avoid that sinking feeling when you see piled up dishes.

In terms of cleaning, I find that cleaning the counters and taps in the kitchen and the bathroom fittings are a great start. They glisten and the rooms smell nice, so it is a better reward than tasks such as vacuuming.

On days that you do not feel like getting out the vacuum cleaner, perhaps just use a dustpan and brush or sweeping brush. A small area cleaned is better than none at all. Sometimes, it is nice to avoid the noisy drone of the vacuum for rythmic sweeping in your own time (or to music) plus you get to see the results by putting what you sweep in the bin rather than it going into the vacuum.

Laundry can be a big headache. Don't automaticlly put washing into the washing bin, put it straight into the washing machine and when it is full start the wash. Do this every time you empty the washing machine and you will never have a mountain of washing.

The most important thing is that you cannot do everything. Prioritise. Any progress is progress. Reward yourself for your efforts when you can manage to make them and forgive yourself on the days you can't.

angeldaughter Tue 18-Aug-09 15:50:35

thankgod theres anther mum out there that needs motivation to do the housework i work full time 30 hours a week as a single mum and housework is the last thing i want to do with an 18 month old, but as im sure u know its always there waiting to be done ive found putting on a bit of music on while i get it done is really helpful, if not a good kim and aggie session gets me in the mood to clean.

NaughtyAlice Tue 18-Aug-09 16:51:12

Another Kim and Aggie tip is to start from the top and work your way down.

I also find that if i am trying to get in the mood, putting on a load of washing is usually a great first step. Put the kettle on for a cup of tea, and while its boiling do a couple of quick and easy jobs, again while cooking dinner, and cleaning the bathroom while the bath runs is also quite a good way of doing things.

You could always join us on the slatterns thread smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now