Talk

Advanced search

I want nice smelling laundry!

(63 Posts)
tatty33 Thu 06-Aug-09 17:28:15

Please could anyone give me any tips about my laundry, my sisters always smells so nice - and def can smell the detergant. My clothes come out clean but don't smell of anything.

dull topic I know but I'd be v grateful of advice

Thanks

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 17:43:36

Do you use a Fabric Conditioner?...

JustWannaSay Thu 06-Aug-09 17:44:49

Persil! (I use the non-bio but presume they all smell similar?)

I had same 'problem' with all the cheaper/own brands that I tried, and some of the more expensive ones (inc Fairy).

Finally, I tried persil and got that long-lasting smell I had been hankering after!

<<revels in the opportunity to focus on something so trivial yet pleasing after a long working day>>

terramum Thu 06-Aug-09 17:46:11

Few drops of my fave essential oil in the conditioner drawer is what I use.

Mintyy Thu 06-Aug-09 17:46:52

Perhaps your sister uses more powder than you and it doesn't quite rinse out properly? Not good for sensitive skin.

I am a laundry expert know-it-all and after extensive research I would say that Fairy Non-Bio Powder (in the big box, not tablets) smells the nicest, followed by a lavendar fragranced fabric conditioner.

Trust me, I have tried all combinations.

P.S. If you tumble dry your laundry smells of nothing and is limp and useless. So line dry or dry indoors if you possibly can (makes your house smell nice too).

2to3 Thu 06-Aug-09 17:49:59

Don't overfill the machine - if there's not enough powder or room for the clothes to rotate they're not going to come out smelling of roses.

For the record I swear by Fairy - it smells lovely. Fabric conditioner is the work of the devil IMHO, at least if it overpowers every other smell in the world with the sterile stench of fake perfume.

onehitwonder Thu 06-Aug-09 17:50:57

I use ecover and that never smells of anything much sad but I feel very worthy grin and it seems to work ok. Terramum, do the essential oils work? Sounds like a good idea.

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 17:52:00

I agree Fairy smells lovely..I like blue,purple,white and occassionally yellow fabric conditioners..always best to smell before you buy grin

HollyBunda Thu 06-Aug-09 17:52:54

i like the smell of DAZ. Everything else smells too strong for my tastes.

2to3 Thu 06-Aug-09 18:30:04

PS - have you asked your sister?

tatty33 Thu 06-Aug-09 18:50:41

I know my sister uses fairy - it may be the overloading thats doing it blush

not sure about fabric conditioner, always thought they were a bit of a nonsense, but may give a try

lucykate Thu 06-Aug-09 18:56:36

fairy is the answer, my neighbour uses it and the smell wafts out from the back door into our garden. even dh commented on how nice it smells, like fresh laundry should. ours smells of whatever was on offer at the time in the supermarket!

lucykate Thu 06-Aug-09 18:59:10

and i am a recent fabric conditioner convert. didn't used to use it, but as i've always been a line drier person (we don't have a tumble drier), decided to give it a go. now, once it comes off the line, give it a good shake and fold, virtually nothing needs ironing.

ABitWrong Thu 06-Aug-09 18:59:49

There is a new eco one called Ecoleaf which works well and smells nice too. Nice but not overpowering.

herbietea Thu 06-Aug-09 19:01:09

Message withdrawn

tatty33 Thu 06-Aug-09 19:04:09

so what does the fabric conditioner do - will it affect sensitive skin?

herbietea Thu 06-Aug-09 19:06:37

Message withdrawn

raindroprhyme Thu 06-Aug-09 19:22:15

orange comfort smells lovely. i only use it on bedding tho as dh says it is to girly for clothes. so yellow for clothes.

def makes a difference not over loading machine 2/3 full is optium you should have space at the top.

lisasimpson Thu 06-Aug-09 19:28:01

The Persil gel tablets for coloured clothes smell really nice and fresh. First time I had noticed a smell after we started using these.

foreverchanges Thu 06-Aug-09 19:31:19

bold 2 in 1 wash and fabric conditioner (in one)lavander and chamomile not v eco but people have commented we all smell lovely !

JRocks Thu 06-Aug-09 19:35:58

Fairy, and fairy softener (honey and almond). When I had to dry some clothes at my parents house, my dad went looking for whatever it was that was smelling like 'fruit salad sweets' hmm grin

terramum Thu 06-Aug-09 22:00:55

onehitwonder - yes it does! Some work better than others & don't use orange oil coz that stains. My faves are lavender, geranium and tee tree oils. Use aout 4 drops max per load.

tatty33 - I personally wouldn't use fabric softener. but then I'm allergic to chemical products now. If you do use it though don't use it with your towels (or nappies if you have little uns) as it will make them water proof!

SoupDragon Thu 06-Aug-09 22:02:36

Line dry it outside. Far better than the artificial stink of strong scented laundry products.

Or, perhaps you should ask your sister what she does if that's the result you want!

SoupDragon Thu 06-Aug-09 22:03:57

BTW, your own laundry won't smell of anything much because you are used to the smell.

hayes Thu 06-Aug-09 22:06:02

well I like the artifical stink of scented laundry products wink I use surf (pink packet) and at the moment using the yellow comfort

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now