Talk

Advanced search

Seperate bedrooms or bedroom and playroom

(11 Posts)
caykon Wed 05-Aug-09 14:10:25

We are having an extension at the moment so the whole house is being reshuffled and decorated. I have 2 dc. dd who is 3 and ds who is 2. Also have a dss and dsd but only dss who is 14 who stays over.
Now do I give each of the dc their own room or do I make 1 bedroom and 1 playroom.
I get sick of clambering over toys to put them to bed and also it is nightime and mornings that they seem to undo all my efforts at keeping the room tidy. Obviously they cant share forever being a boy and girl but whilst they are little would this be a problem. At the moment dss has to bed down in one of the dcs rooms but he hates this as they jump on him in the mornings. If they were seperated he would still have this problem, if not he could sleep in the playroom.
I am just worried about problems of them sleeping if sharing and am I just creating myself more work in the future when i have to seperate them again.

cat64 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:18:51

Message withdrawn

fatjac Wed 05-Aug-09 14:29:08

I would go for seperate bedrooms as they probably wont play in the designated playroom anyway. Mine always want their toys downstairs to be near me.

LilianGish Wed 05-Aug-09 14:31:06

At that age i think both in the same room is much easier especially if they like sharing. Nice calm bedroom, one bedtime story - much easier. Mine are now 8 and 6 and though they have their own rooms much prefer to sleep in the bunk beds in ds's room. Also means dss can have his own space when he comes to stay and if you have a bed in the playroom you can always separate them if they are playying up and keeping each other awake (the threat of being separated is enough to make my two behave.)

caykon Wed 05-Aug-09 15:46:41

They do like sleeping together, literally curled up in same bed, and a playroom would give them space to have toys out like brio etc.
dh thinks seperate rooms would be better, start as we mean to go on, and dss could have a sofa bed in my office at a push if he really wanted a seperate space.

poopscoop Wed 05-Aug-09 15:48:25

sep bedrooms, they can each have all their own crap, rather than argue over who has touched/broken soemone elses toys

Katz Wed 05-Aug-09 15:52:06

our girls share (4 and 6) one room and have the other as a playroom, works really well.

DarrellRivers Wed 05-Aug-09 15:58:14

We have just put DS (4) in with DD(5) as they had such a lovely time sharing a room on holiday.
It is great.
And we have a lovely big playroom in which I have put all the toys from the rest of the house.
We can always move DS back into the other room at some point although they both seem very happy at the moment though (lots of giggling)

Karam Wed 05-Aug-09 20:04:18

My DDs share a bedroom, and have a playroom. I think it helps to make them closer (they are very close). When they get up, they play together and I like it that way. The only downside, is that when one wakes up first at the weekend, we sometimes hear them whispering / shouting to the sleeping child "X, get up now, it's play time". This happens quite a lot. It also helps to keep their bedrooms clear and a place to relax rather than having so much going on in their rooms. As we have two girls, we don't have to separate out the toys, they share everything, which helps because I have only got one toy box for barbie and so on, instead of having to duplicate the storage of it.

Our playroom is downstairs though, so they do play a lot in there. Not sure if it would be different if the playroom was upstairs.

allaboutme Wed 05-Aug-09 20:07:56

have bigger room as a playroom with a bed in it. they both share playroom during the day.
in other room have bunk beds.

they can sleep seperately then when they like or share if they prefer and go in the bunk beds on the times your dss stays over

amidaiwish Wed 05-Aug-09 20:15:13

DDs share a bedroom (3.10 and 5.6) and have a playroom. They had separate rooms but DD2 was such a bad sleeper i put them in together and she is now fab.

one story
both go to bed at the same time
if there are high jinks then one of them gets put in our bed and transferred when we go to bed.
if friends stay over then one of the DDs will sleep on the sofa bed in the playroom and the friend sleeps in the bedroom, so that works well too.

it's working well for us at the moment, and lovely to be able to shut the door on the mess in the playroom. I guess as they get older and start doing homework in their bedroom etc and the toys become smaller/disappear we will go back to separate bedrooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now