Talk

Advanced search

Guest room or play room???

(12 Posts)
allaboutme Tue 04-Aug-09 19:43:01

Have a 3 storey house.

Bedrooms all on top floor, lounge and kitchen on middle floor and guest room on bottom floor.
Guest room has french doors that open to the garden. This is the only way out into the garden.

I am toying with the idea of turning the guest room into a play room for the boys (both toddlers) and have a sofa bed in there for when people stay, rather than keeping the room as a bedroom.
I think we will use the garden a lot more if the playroom were to open on to it.
But will it look a bit crap if we put our guests up in a room full of toys etc on a pull out sofa bed?

What do we think is more useful? Guest room or playroom?

ChasingSquirrels Tue 04-Aug-09 19:45:16

sounds idea for the children.
Decent storage would make it a more livable room, and enable everything to be put away when guests stay.
Is it the only thing on the bottom floor?

janeite Tue 04-Aug-09 19:45:44

Play room with sofa bed sounds much more useful. Get some nice shelving and a good box system for the toys!

allaboutme Tue 04-Aug-09 19:47:15

theres a toilet too and a door that leads through to the garage, but thats all.

plimple Tue 04-Aug-09 19:47:40

Think how often you have guests and weigh up which will give you best use. I'd put it as a playroom if I were you. I'd be happy sleeping on a sofa bed with toys neatly in drawers and cupboards stored in the room.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 04-Aug-09 19:50:36

Make it a playroom. Definitely. However, from bitter experience, you must make it absolutely clear to your children from day one that it is actually a guest room and therefore must be kept always in a state where it can be made habitable at short notice and not have the walls/carpet trashed.

Pull out sofa beds can be very comfy.

Makingchanges Tue 04-Aug-09 19:51:15

We have a guest room that is also used for storage and toys etc - Never been a problem as long as things are out of the way.

I'd go for a play room with sofa bed - we got a comfy sofabed and the sofa is my retreat when needed

lynniep Tue 04-Aug-09 19:52:19

I'd have it as a play room. Sounds lovely to have it looking onto garden, and as said, if you store toys sensibly it needn't be a big issue.
Plus - nothing wrong with sofa beds - there are some extremely comfy ones out there! The futon I slept on when I (overstayed) at my friends house was way more comfy than our cheapo ikea bed - and I was pg at the time.
I

oxocube Tue 04-Aug-09 19:57:05

Depends how often you have people staying over and what other space is available for your kds to play. If you have a big sitting room you don't mind clearing up at the end of the day, then it may be worth keeping a room for guests if you have lots of them.

I had a friend who had a similar set up to you - her ground floor guest room led to the garden and she decided to keep it just for visitors as she found it less stressful to know that there was a space where she didn't have to do a major clean up job when people came to stay. She was very sociable though and had guests about 2 weekends out of very 4!

Tinfoil Wed 05-Aug-09 00:09:57

I vote for playroom with a comfortable sofabed

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 05-Aug-09 00:42:21

The room sounds lovely and I'd go with others saying "playroom". And warn your guests not to expect a long lie. grin

allaboutme Wed 05-Aug-09 08:40:12

Its pretty unanimous!
I definitely think playroom now, thanks for all opinions.
Bit worried about your experience though Grimma - my two at 3 and 1 are the trashing room types and I'm not sure a stern talking to will do much good. Oh well, always got the garden shed to throw everything in if guests arrive unexpectedly grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now