Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm interviewing a cleaner this weekend, what should I ask/look for? How much can I expect her to manage? What do pay? How many hours do you have a cleaner for? Aargh!!!!

(9 Posts)
sorky Tue 04-Aug-09 15:09:11

She advertised on Gumtree, I answered and she is coming to my house on Saturday to talk about what I want doing and make some recommendtions about what can be done when.
I have offered £7ph, which she seems pleased with. I think this will be cash in hand and I thought maybe ironing dusting and hoovering, with some help with the beds (5).

What do you pay, what does s/he do for that and how long do they come for?

I know she has 2 other jobs (one domestic, one pub) so should I fit in around those or state the best days for me?
She is bringing refs with her.

CMOTdibbler Tue 04-Aug-09 15:13:34

My cleaner comes for 4 hours a week, and in that she cleans 4 beds, 2 offices, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room and downstairs toilet. Includes doing dishwasher if necessary and ironing. She does the beds if we are having visitors, but not usually by my choice

I let her choose when she comes, although she normally comes on a Wednesday.

sorky Tue 04-Aug-09 15:21:12

Blimey that seems like a lot!

Do you mind telling me how much you pay her? I don't want to pay her too little and do you review this amount?

CMOTdibbler Tue 04-Aug-09 17:02:52

She asks for 7.50 an hour, but I pay her 10 an hour (we argue about this, but she frequently takes ironing home that I know full well takes her more than the time she has left to do iyswim, and this compensates).

She gets an amazing amount done and is very thorough - I am very blessed to have her !

raindroprhyme Tue 04-Aug-09 21:43:17

i pay £8 an hour, 3 hours a week, cleans kitchen surfaces, floor, and cupboard fronts, cooker hob. living room, dusts, wipes down couch washes floor.does windows and glass doors
hoovers stairs, cleans bathroom.

i love my cleaner everything else is much easier because i come home to a sparkling house once a week.

hf128219 Tue 04-Aug-09 21:49:58

I have someone for 24 hours a week - more like a housekeeper who does everything from housework, to laundry, cleaning silver etc.

glucose Tue 04-Aug-09 22:07:09

I would fix a time that suits both of you, not just her other employer. If you work M-F its nice to have the house cleaned Friday for the weekend.

Quattrocento Tue 04-Aug-09 22:18:12

Ours comes for 8 hours a week. During this time she:

Strips and changes the beds
Washes the bedlinen
Irons (we don't have a lot of ironing)
Cleans every room - meaning dusting, polishing and hoovering (4/5 beds, 5 baths, kitchen, dining, study, living, family and hall)

She comes for 4 hours on Thursday and 4 on Fridays

sorky Wed 05-Aug-09 08:57:25

So if I ask her to come for 5 hours a week, 2 hours for a general clean and some ironing, then 3 hours for a thorough cleaning of one room, does that sound reasonable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now