Talk

Advanced search

what non-cleaning related tasks do you let you cleaner do?

(8 Posts)
nybom Tue 04-Aug-09 09:31:09

was just wondering about this...

can you have your cleaner do the garden (within reason, not cutting down trees, just some plant grooming and weeding e.g.), can you let her change the sheets (we have got 6 beds and changing sheets is the most annoying household task imho)? what about doing the ironing?

and what about really annoying cleaning tasks you wouldn't want to do yourself - like removing the dust from a heap of conkers (sounds like i'm bonkers ;-)), or removing stubborn stains from carpets (we have a carpet in our kitchen, previous owners fault), or cleaning the gaps between shower tiles with toothbrush?

any opinions on this?

Sunshinemummy Tue 04-Aug-09 09:43:00

I have a gardener for the gardening so wouldn't ask the cleaner to do this.

Shoe does change the sheets and do the ironing. I also leaver special instructions for extra things I want doing like washing the path to the front door so I would have thought the conkers, tiles and carpets are fine.

allaboutme Tue 04-Aug-09 09:45:46

i wouldnt ask her to do the garden or change the sheets (my cleaning company says 'no laundry' in contract) but would ask for other things

btw why on earth are you dusting conkers???

sarah293 Tue 04-Aug-09 09:50:02

Message withdrawn

Buda Tue 04-Aug-09 09:51:53

My cleaners have always changed beds. Just make sure you are allowing enough time. I would not ask to do garden as that would be in a gardener's remit tbh.

With regards to extras like carpet stains etc i would ask. It is cleaning after all.

I tend to ask mine to do a particular room thoroughly every so often so if you were to ask for the kitchen to be deep cleaned and told her you had bought stain remover for the carpet and could she have a go at the stains I would have thought that would be ok. But I wouldn't expect the beds to be changed that day as well!

You just have to be realistic about the time.

Pannacotta Tue 04-Aug-09 09:54:31

Agree re changing beds and carpets, both are fine for a cleaner to do, as long as there is time.
Agree with waht Buda says re time and taking it in turns to depe clean a room.

No to gardening IMO, get some gardening help if needed.
And dusting conkers is bonkers, ha ha!!

nybom Tue 04-Aug-09 10:32:32

re CONKERS

they are part of a wooden bowl with potpourri...

i would have thrown them away when they got too dirty/dusty after a while if it wasn't for the emotional attachment (hang on, don't judhe me yet, hear me out grin): one day before my due date with DS1 i collected some conkers in our local park to get labout going. it was a wonderfully sunny day in september... that evening labour started, and 25 hours later DS1 was born. grin

not so bonkers now, ey? wink

SparkyToo Tue 04-Aug-09 19:33:23

The ironing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now