Talk

Advanced search

What's this black/brown sticky goo that's impossible to remove from my oven?

(20 Posts)
beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 19:06:28

Inspired by the 'paying to have someone clean your oven' thread - does anyone know what that gloopy black/brown gunk is that sticks to grill pans, wire racks and (most irritatingly) the bottom of the oven? My Mr Muscle won't touch it, even though it gets rid of ordinary burnt on stuff, and i have to scrape it off, while trying not to damage the oven. I HATE it.

Will any normal cleaners get this off? And what is it?!?! Is it fat? I think I grilled some sausages once, but i mainly use the oven for baking muffins, heating plates, cooking lasagnes, nothing more adventurous than that. I dont understand where it comes from or how to get rid of it! angry HELP!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 19:09:30

Burnt fat and yes it will come off - I tend to use a scraper (we have a glass hob) - use something like washing up liquid and plop it on first, leave for a minute, then scrape it. Tis very good exercise.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 02-Aug-09 19:14:15

Sorry. Am childishly amused by how this looks in activeconvos:

Good housekeeping : What's this black/brown sticky goo that's impossible to remove from my oven? 2 Posts. Latest: from whomovedmychocolate

So that's where it ended up!

Apart from demonstrating an appalling sense of humour, i should also add I leave a tray in the bottom of the oven so I can take it out and clean it in the sink.

You can also get heavy duty oven cleaner stuff in a tin.

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 19:14:44

damn... is there no magic cure? Industrial strength oven cleaner? I don't mind exercise in a gym but can't stand scrubbing an oven blush

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 19:17:29

You can make a paste of washing powder and leave it on overnight and then wipe it or get a silicon oven mat from Lakeland.

PrincessToadstool Sun 02-Aug-09 19:18:45

Oven Pride is fab and gets everything off

IotasCat Sun 02-Aug-09 19:22:52

I have a self cleaning oven <smug>

MaybeAfterBreakfast Sun 02-Aug-09 19:33:26

Try Lakeland Oven Mate.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 19:49:09

IotasCat - I too have a self-cleaning oven, but it doesn't clean to my high standards <preen>

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:06:12

oooooh loving the ideas here. I can't believe I honestly never thought of putting a tray or something similar in the bottom of the oven! Brilliant. Thats everyone... grin

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:08:45

oh and grin motherofcheeses - I have a very similar sense of humour!!!

lynneevans51 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:11:49

I have somebody in to clean my oven fairly regularly as I have this awful stuff and it drives me mad. I have tried every oven product known to man - but I was told by a couple of different oven people that its carbon. And that carbon is also the black stuff that stays on your oven trays etc. You can scrap it off but can bugger your trays and oven. Best clean I've had so far has been from OVENU.....

Paolosgirl Sun 02-Aug-09 20:15:00

Oven Pride every time - 'tis the DB's...

wahwahwah Sun 02-Aug-09 20:17:09

Mr Muscle works a treat. Mine is so grotty it sometimes takes 2 rounds. blush

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Sun 02-Aug-09 20:18:38

You can get a thick black plasticy (but not plastic, obviously) sheet thing from Lakeland which you cut to size to fit the bottom of the oven, and it washes in the dishwasher. Can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure you could find it easily on their site.

I used Oven Pride last time I cleaned the oven and it really was a revelation. You don't have to scrub at all, the gunk just wipes off.

MummyElk Sun 02-Aug-09 20:19:00

LAkeland oven mate works a treat every time, you brush it on and leave it and then wipe it off.
I Do Not Scrub. It suits me perfectly wink

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:19:21

thanks paulosgirl - a quick google tells me Oven Pride is like a bag that you put the racks in - what do you use on the bottom of the oven?

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:21:05

Mr Muscle doesn't even touch the sides blush

Paolosgirl Sun 02-Aug-09 20:25:45

I put a baking sheet or tin foil at the bottom of my oven. This thread has reminded me that I really do need to give it a clean blush

PrincessToadstool Sun 02-Aug-09 20:39:42

beaniebaby - you get a bag with Oven Pride for the trays etc but squirt the rest all over the inside of the oven and leave it for a few hours, you will be amazed at what comes off with just a wipe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now