Talk

Advanced search

Odd mildew like stains on bibs - how to get rid?

(7 Posts)
poppy34 Sun 02-Aug-09 14:22:19

My dd has a bunch of long sleeved plastic backed bibs with thin cotton towelling outer. The problem is they seem to grow little Black mildew patches on fabric that is impossible to shift- the closest thing I can think of is the mildew you get on plastic shower curtains. Any tips for getting it out that don't involve melting the plastic?

Think issue is if you rinse off fooD before you wash and leave it pre wash ( even for a few hours) these marks appear.

They are great bibs for catching stuff (Hence why I want a solution to this)!

littleboyblue Sun 02-Aug-09 14:26:43

Tea-tree oil gets mould off of hard surfaces, not sure about fabric/plastic but might be worth a go. Dilute it with some water.

stuffitlllama Sun 02-Aug-09 14:33:16

I bet it's banana! get banana on anything you have to wash it off straight away or you will get unremovable stains that look like mildew!

Meglet Sun 02-Aug-09 14:33:36

are they banana stains? Banana is a bugger to get out of fabric, it looks like little black / brown speckly bits. I usually strip my baby down when she has it as I know it doesn't ever seem to wash out.

hairymelons Sun 02-Aug-09 14:38:24

Yes, bet it's banana too! I had no idea why DS's clothes had funny black stains on til someone pointed out it was banana. We use those tommee tippee wipeable bibs now as he is a banana fiend!

poppy34 Sun 02-Aug-09 14:41:50

Ah banana might be it - couldn't think what it was bit it does look like black ink spots.

mumdrivenmad Sun 02-Aug-09 20:24:50

Boil them in a solution of oxy powder I use the cheaper version of oxyclean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now