Talk

Advanced search

How to clean cheap crappy lino/vinyl flooring?

(6 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sat 01-Aug-09 23:33:25

We are currently renting and the kitchen has some really cheap thin lino stuff on the floor with a fake wood grain pattern on it. It's slightly textured and filthy - the grime just seems to collect in the textured bits. It gets mopped about once a week, which gets the surface dirt off, but it's still pretty dingy. I did get down on my knees once and scrub it but it made sod-all difference.

The really annoying thing is that I occasionally spill something on it that comes up in beautiful shiny clean splahes hmm but I have no idea what I am spilling! Added some vinegar to the water today but made no difference. Oh, I've also tried some spray on bleach stuff (for mould really) from Lakeland, but again made no difference.

Have furiously googled, but just get loads of stuff about stripping and waxing and sealing (wtf?).

Can any domestic goddesses help?

sazm Sat 01-Aug-09 23:46:59

i have slightly textured vinyl in my bathroom,and it comes up like new just with a quick mop with nearly boling water and all purpose cleaner,
try adding a little bleach to the water too,should help,

we have ceramic tiles in ours and they are a nightmare,
can't wait til i get them lifted and get some crappy vinyl down lol,

whomovedmychocolate Sat 01-Aug-09 23:51:06

Very dilute caustic soda - do read the instructions and wear gloves/keep kids and pets away while you do it.

Alternatively, biological washing powder, a lot of it, dissolved in boiling water and mopped on, left for the day, then mopped off will remove most of the crud.

DitaVonCheese Sun 02-Aug-09 00:56:23

Cheers - maybe my water wasn't hot enough. I hate bleach so don't have any in the house - think I'll try washing powder first. Caustic soda scares me a bit!

Thank you

sazm Sun 02-Aug-09 01:42:51

lol,the other things that are meant to be good for natural bleaching are lemon juice and bicarb of soda,

DitaVonCheese Sun 02-Aug-09 10:57:19

Yeah, I've been googling bicarb - might give that a go (poss a bit more DD-friendly!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now