Talk

Advanced search

Does anything get food stains off clothes (pref eco-friendly)? Help!

(18 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sat 01-Aug-09 23:10:42

DD is 10 months, BLWed and a very messy eater. Being a relatively neat eater myself <preens> I've never had to deal with this level of stainage (DH does his own washing wink).

Can anyone recommend anything to deal with the stains, preferably eco-friendly (and not the sun - not seen that for a while )?

Many thanks!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 12:32:00

Yes, wash on 60 degrees! Sorry but it's the only thing that worked for us. Or accept that your kids will be a bit murky for a year or so (at least)

PDR Sun 02-Aug-09 12:44:44

I soak them (as quickly as I can) in washing up bowl full of water and pop a milton tablet in and it seems to work!

Then I bung them (wet) in the machine at either 40 or 60 depending on what they are!

JennyPenny22 Sun 02-Aug-09 14:00:06

Nappy sa works great!

JennyPenny22 Sun 02-Aug-09 14:00:37

Sorry that was meant to be nappy San

midnightexpress Sun 02-Aug-09 14:03:11

'a year' ROFL (hollowly)

My children are filthy, so may have to try the milton/nappy san. I wonder if I could pop the DSs in on a quick cycle too?

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sun 02-Aug-09 20:01:12

Vanish works for me though it isn't eco friendly! I treat the stain asap with a vanish bar and cold water and then wash at usual temp.
My DD self feeds and is also very messy. When we're at home I've resorted to stripping her off before her lunch down to her vest or nappy depending on the temp. I just pop a bib on which I obviously don't mind getting stained!
It was getting to the point where I was having to change her outfit after every meal.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 22:56:21

midnightexpress - they do better in the dishwasher, they like the comfort of having their sippy cups around while they get washed wink

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 22:56:59

Am I the only one btw who strips them down to their nappies when they are at home and about to eat spag bol? grin

DitaVonCheese Sun 02-Aug-09 23:02:00

The thing is that her nappies cost more than most of her clothes grin

I generally change her after every meal as well, though we do have some eating suits from Hippychick for when we're out and about (and for creating general hilarity amongst the public). I am a bit too lazy to wash them very often either though blush

I've been doing some searches and Vanish seems to get the MN thumbs-up, so may give that a go. I've been washing at 60 for a while now - yeep!

Thanks all

whomovedmychocolate Mon 03-Aug-09 07:55:01

You need one of these grin

DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Aug-09 09:48:04

For the clothes or the baby? grin

MrsBadger Mon 03-Aug-09 10:01:11

was about to recommend bibs with sleeves (SillyBillyz are the nuts and wash and dry v fast) but if you already have easting suits you are a step ahead...

and buy lots of yellow and orange clothes
things with violent or floral patterns also show the stains less

somewhathorrified Mon 03-Aug-09 10:01:15

Washing up liquid rubbed on the stain, then wash as normal.

PDR Mon 03-Aug-09 12:18:44

I think they key is getting to it quickly!!!

Co-op green household soap!

My gran used to use it, thsy have been making it for so long, brilliant for stains, super cheap, lasts for ages.

Even gets stains out that have been washed in, far superior to vanish imo, and much less likely to take colours out.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 03-Aug-09 17:58:49

Both Dita - one of the key skills of motherhood is multitasking wink

DitaVonCheese Mon 03-Aug-09 21:12:54

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now