Talk

Advanced search

Dirty houseflies, how to kill?

(10 Posts)
frimblypoo Fri 31-Jul-09 18:41:01

Darn things are everywhere, don't know why. Sprays are out, is there something less toxic that works, bearing in mind 10 month toddling baby who pokes, licks, eats everything?
Or is it going to have to be disgusting looking but effective old fashined fly papers?
Please help!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 31-Jul-09 18:44:35

Have you got some hatching somewhere? Left some food in a bag?

If you put some honey on an old plate they will stick to it and die a sweet death. You could try a zapper thing that electrocutes the little buggers aswell, the sorts they use in shops.

Mousey84 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:49:06

Or a jar with some sweet vinegar (like malt or wine) and cover with cling film and poje a few holes in it. They will think its rotten fruit and go to check it out.

LilRedWG Fri 31-Jul-09 18:55:33

I use these in the kitchen and behind the curtain in the lounge. Seem to work quite well.

LilRedWG Fri 31-Jul-09 18:56:25

I bought some from Morrisons yesterday, so they should be in all supermarkets I would think.

frimblypoo Fri 31-Jul-09 19:01:38

oooh excellent suggestions thank you. Will get window trap things and do the jam jar thing simply for the pleasure of watching them drown.
My kitchen is a bit ming but only in an untidy way. Can't find aything rotten. Who knows.
Thank you everyone

LIZS Fri 31-Jul-09 19:02:16

I got rid of some with a Kim and Aggie tip - mixz of vinegar (used white wine) and squirt of washing up liquid in a jam jar overnight. Teh washing up liquid makes it too think for them to get out again. Also used a electronic uv light contraption in the past - they fly into it and are zapped.

frimblypoo Fri 31-Jul-09 22:24:09

will do this now before bed. I am hoping for a jar full in the morning!

whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Jul-09 22:29:46

Get more spiders. Seriously if you stop dusting for a few weeks the spiders move in and eat the little buggers. And spiders have more protein than flies when your children eat them grin

mumdrivenmad Sun 02-Aug-09 10:39:43

I use the sticky fly papers as I can't use sprays due to asthma problems. I love seeing the little blighters on them rather than flying round my house. Re the zappers, I find these get the houseflies but the fruit flies don't seem to be attracted to them, so the fly papers will attract them all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now