Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how to get a strong wee smell out of a cotbed mattress (that can't be dry cleaned......)

(10 Posts)
orangina Thu 30-Jul-09 20:27:19

Anyone? I can't quite face having to throw it out and buy a new one (it is sprung and wasn't cheap), but the smell is TERRIBLE. Basically it is supposed to be used 1 side up only (removable top cover, plastic underneath...), but it got flipped at some point and then wee-ed on maybe 5 times. It is truly grim. I have tried washing it in bath with the usual fairy washing liquid, but it still smells.

Is there is a clever trick that anyone knows of? Please do share it, I'd be so grateful! Thank you.....

smile

nickytwotimes Thu 30-Jul-09 20:28:03

Steam cleaner?

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 20:28:51

Put it in the sun [assuming there is any]

orangina Thu 30-Jul-09 20:34:52

I guess a steam cleaner could work, but we don't have one. Moondog, there is no sun here just now, PLUS (crucially) we live in a flat w no outdoor space.

elliephant Thu 30-Jul-09 20:39:09

Try a paste of baking soda, apply and leave to dry and then hoover off. This worked for me on a rug. Also have heard that vinegar works - the smell will evaporate btw.

orangina Fri 31-Jul-09 08:07:32

oh thanks ellie... will try the baking powder trick.....

FanjolinaJolie Wed 05-Aug-09 20:51:38

Could try a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and water in an old spray bottle. Then throw it up on top of the clothes line and air it sunny day.

Also try baking soda/bicarb of soda too. That is good for neutralising smells.

HTH

ravenAK Wed 05-Aug-09 20:55:30

If you get it actually sodden, will it ever dry again do you think?

If so I'd recommend immersing it in the bath in bio washing powder & a good lug of tea tree oil...

...if not I'd do the baking powder trick but follow up by wiping over with a wet wipe sprinkled with tea tree oil to kill the last of the smell!

mamalove2 Mon 10-Aug-09 10:35:31

better late than never, i used neat lemon jucice and it worked a treat, good luck

mamalove2 Mon 10-Aug-09 10:35:53

better late than never, i used neat lemon jucice and it worked a treat, good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now