Talk

Advanced search

How do I make my bed smell nice? Please help.

(11 Posts)
HuffySpice Thu 30-Jul-09 14:15:32

We bought a new bed and new mattress and new mattress topper (all from Ikea)about 7 months ago.

There was quite a strong and not particularly pleasant 'new' smell, but it even said on the label that there might be a 'new' smell but that it would wear off.

It hasn't worn off.

We have a mattress protector and I regularly change the sheets, but still when you sink into bed at the end of the day it doesn't smell delicious. It smells bad. It's a very specific smell and for a minute you think it could be a farty, feety smell but it isn't.

It is the most comfortable bed and mattress I have ever had. I love it so much. Please tell me how to make it smell delicious and fresh.

LadyOfWaffle Thu 30-Jul-09 14:17:13

spray fabric freshner? Sprinkle bicarb then hoover up?

comewhinewithme Thu 30-Jul-09 14:19:16

Mix up some water and Fabric conditioner in a spray bottle spray onto bed each morning smells lovely . <I am too tight to buy febreeze>

ReallyReally Thu 30-Jul-09 14:19:42

I have, in the past when I have been playing at being Anthea Turner, put several drops of patchouli oil in water in a spray bottle and sprayed my bed with that

it does smell lovely (not hippy at all!) and lasts subtly; I think it's good for dust mites too

Lovemyshoes Thu 30-Jul-09 14:20:07

I love the sleeptherapy spray from avon with lavender and camomile. Refreshing relaxing and fresh

Lizzzombie Thu 30-Jul-09 14:20:51

Molton Brown used to do a fabric spray, I think it was called "Eau de tranquilitie"..its was gorgeous sprayed onto the bed. But, they stopped doing it.
I think M&S, Laura Ashley or Pastimes would probably do something similar though.

comewhinewithme Thu 30-Jul-09 14:21:03

I have some sleep therapy too it is really nice and I think it is on offer ATM too .

HuffySpice Thu 30-Jul-09 14:24:57

Really? Add a new smell on top of the yucky smell? Would that not just make it worse?

Bicarb a good idea but I don't have a hoover. Will try and think of someone to borrow one from.

ReallyReally Thu 30-Jul-09 14:25:37

I find that essential oils - eg the patchoulib - don't 'mask' the smell so much in that 'horrid + horrid' way

SparkyToo Fri 31-Jul-09 21:57:04

The smell will be the fire retardent in the new mattress / mattress topper (if it's a memory foam one - they are flame retarded and the smell is really terrible!!). I think you need to strip off the bed each day, maybe take the topper off the mattress. Basically get as much air as you can to it (obviously you have to put it all back together each night) but it will need a really good airing to get rid of the smell. May take a couple of weeks but it will go. Then get a really good mattress protector (we've got this one which is 100% pure cotton, so no nasty chemicals anywhere near your skin!), pop your bed linen back on - and you'll be well away!

Poledra Fri 31-Jul-09 22:00:58

Put a small child in it. Our 3-yo DD2 currently likes to go to sleep in our bed, on my side. The nights she's had a bath, after I move her into her own bed and get into mine, all I can smell is warm clean little girl grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now