Talk

Advanced search

Please look at my pics and give me decorating inspiration

(20 Posts)
SammyK Tue 28-Jul-09 14:05:52

I have put pics of my living room - dining room (through lounge) on my photos page. I desperately need to redecorate but don't know where to start, particularly as I am lumbered with a sofa colour that severely limits options due to its colour.

It is a fairly big room, gets lots of light. I just don't know what I want to do with it, hate how it is currently so don't worry I won't be all sad if you think it currently looks horrid. grin It has been left for a long time as I used to cm and didn't see the point of redoing it to have fresh paint splashes, rips, etc appearing.

bodiddly Tue 28-Jul-09 14:14:52

I can't quite see what colour the sofa is from the photos. It definitely looks very dark .. but again that might be the photos. I, personally, would get rid of the dado rail and lighten it up. The floor looks like a decent colour. What colours do you like?

PortBlacksandResident Tue 28-Jul-09 14:15:44

Lovely floor and fireplace. I love your dark wood furniture too.

The border is a bit dated now but it looks a lovely room. You have the same colour settee as me grin. We've gone for reds and browns and dark greens with a splash of turquoise - but then we like dark colours on the walls (our hall, landing and stairs are black).

You could always put throws over your settees - we did this for a while but then i got so anal about keeping them straight DH removed them for my health.

More of a cosy snuggly room rather than a functional CM room is the way to go. Maybe a pretty close knit or fluffy rug (if you like them).

SammyK Tue 28-Jul-09 14:34:34

I don't cm now so just our own dcs to consider. No more safety gates, fire guards, socket covers, etc!

Sofa is a dark red colour, lighter than red wine but that deep kind of red. I do like decor to be light rather than dark, it is a point me and DP disagree on but as I am going to be doing it he can butt out! grin

He has convinced me if I take dado down half the wall will come off. Is he right or is he just scaremongering me? Don't want to do it and have that told you so smirk. hmm

I think throws would pose a risk to my sanity too TBH, DS would just want to pull them down everytime I had them straight!

booyhoo Tue 28-Jul-09 14:56:55

the dado rail should come off quite easily if you take care while doing it.

llareggub Tue 28-Jul-09 15:02:32

You need pictures on the walls, most definitely.

SausageRocket Tue 28-Jul-09 15:04:56

The half and half look went out in the early 90's. Time for a change.

Presumably furniture, flooring and fireplace are staying as they are £££ to replace.

Personally I would go for an understated pale stone / taupe colour on the walls in a chalky finish (paint). Farrow and Ball have an excellent range of neutrals (without being 'beige') and you can view the shades on their website. If feature walls are your thing then perhaps a modern paper on the chimney breast ? Or on the wall behind the sofa ?

Some gorgeous cushions on the sofa which tie the colours together and a rug on the floor. Plain and chunky wool one.

SammyK Tue 28-Jul-09 15:06:33

I do like pictures llareggub. If walls weren't as 'busy' (plain instead of patterned) pics would like nice wouldn't they. smile Know any good places to shop for pictures?

booyhoo thanks that's good to know. We currently don't have dado at either side of the fireplace as old one was wider than new one hmm so I have been wanting rid for ages.

SammyK Tue 28-Jul-09 15:08:50

bodiddly I missed your Q earlier, I like neutral colours with splashes of something more rich (in this case would have to be colours that tied in or complimented the sofas). I prefer light rooms, DP prefers dark. But I am deciding so grin

SausageRocket Tue 28-Jul-09 15:11:07

To be honest, I like 'proper' pictures from galleries.

Places like Ikea etc have lots of good value, big, modern prints and all manner of frames to put them in. Allposters have alsorts of sizes and style, framed or unframed at reasonable prices too.

SausageRocket Tue 28-Jul-09 15:13:03

With such a bold coloured sofa I think the richness of colour should be kept to window dressings and accessories (rugs etc)

SammyK Tue 28-Jul-09 15:17:21

I like 'proper' pictures too but can't afford them! Can keep dreaming though. I love art galleries as enjoy painting myself when I get chance. smile

Thanks everyone for helping me with ideas, keep em coming!

TheChilliMooseisinthehoose Tue 28-Jul-09 15:34:31

Sausagerocket it right: the half and half look is dated now, especially with the patterned top half. I think the rail should go, and have the walls a light colour, with maybe a feature wall of patterned paper with a big print on it.

SausageRocket Tue 28-Jul-09 15:36:04

Loads of wallpaper to peruse here smile

SammyK Tue 28-Jul-09 15:40:34

Yes have wanted rid of dado for a while and DP has been putting me off, don't know why!

Which wall would be best as a feature wall though? Is there a rule of thumb as to which wall you choose?

{Off to look at wall paper} smile

TheChilliMooseisinthehoose Tue 28-Jul-09 15:41:24

I think it is usually the wall that has the fireplace in it.

dreamteamgirl Tue 28-Jul-09 15:58:54

If you really can't get rid of dado maybe another option is just to have same colour above and below?

SausageRocket Tue 28-Jul-09 16:09:11

you can do any wall as a feature wall.

audley Tue 28-Jul-09 19:38:41

Hi, I had a dado rail issue in my last house and in the end painted the walls above and below and the dado rail in the same colour. I found Fired Earth had some amazing paint colours and I was fixated with Kevin McClouds book "Choosing Colours". I would also paper one wall for a more contemporary look, floral or with birds seem to be quite popular in the show houses I've visited recently.

bodiddly Tue 28-Jul-09 20:42:56

I would have fairly neutral walls (try a few different samples and see what catches your eye) and add some patterned cushions to the sofas which combine the colour of the walls, something a little lighter and perhaps a touch of the red. The same goes for curtains/blinds (if you have the budget). It always looks better if you can bring the colours together in cushions, rugs or blinds rather than blocks of colour ie. cream walls, brown floor, red sofa .. it helps make it look designed! Definitely get rid of the dado if you can .. if not paint same colour above and below.

If you do go for a feature wall don't make it too dominant unless you are planning on redecorating within a few years as you may well get fed up with it. You can always paint the room and have a slightly darker painted feature wall from the same tone on the paint chart to see if you like the idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now