Talk

Advanced search

How to get the sick smell out of car seat straps??

(8 Posts)
thehairybabysmum Mon 27-Jul-09 09:59:25

Any ideas..it is a maxi cosi priori. I have removed all covers and washed them so they're fine; it's just the straps...I washed them as best I could but now dry they still whiff a bit.

Does febreeze work, ive never acytually used it??

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 27-Jul-09 10:07:19

Bicarb of soda diluted with some water and rub/spray on. It will neutralise the smell rather than just cover it like Febreze does. If you can put the chair in fresh air for a while as well, it will help

thehairybabysmum Mon 27-Jul-09 11:57:35

Fab...will do that tonight. Thanks

CloudDragon Mon 27-Jul-09 12:14:22

you can also add a bit of vinegar to the above mixture to make it work really well. And soak them in a bucket if poss.

Don't use febreeze it's full of chemicals

Ealingkate Mon 27-Jul-09 12:38:22

You can remove the straps from the seat altogether, I have done it before and then put them in the wash. (It is a bit fiddly)

fluffyanimal Mon 27-Jul-09 12:43:25

How can adding vinegar to a bicarb of soda solution work? Bicarb works because sick is acid and bicarb is alkaline, so they neutralise each other. Vinegar is acid and will neutralise the bicarb before it gets a chance to neutralise the sick acid! [confused]

But bicarb solution on sick was the single most useful piece of parenting advice I ever learnt.

thehairybabysmum Mon 27-Jul-09 14:06:42

Agree with your science there fluffy animal.

I cant remove the straps...have looked but not possible unlessi dismantle seat. I did try and soak them by leaning seat over a bowl of soap water, it has helped but still a bit of a whiff there.

Bless DS we were going to sunderland airshow, stuck in traffic and he barfed after coughing on a bit of apple skin. I didnt have any spare clothes as we're past that stage so he spent the day in a jumper and his pants. Luckily he is 3.5 so too young to be embarassed!

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 09:23:15

Well that worked like a magic potion so thanks Tilltscoutsmum!! I just wetted the straps with the bicarb solution and the smell went instantly!!

I think im with fluufy that this could be the single most useful piece of parenting advice i've been given!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now