Talk

Advanced search

How do you dry your washing?

(28 Posts)
oysterpots Mon 27-Jul-09 08:03:27

I don't have a tumble dryer, it's too wet to put clothes on the line, and the heating's not on so the wet clothes just moulder on the radiators.

What shall I do?? The washing's piling up!

How do you dry your washing?

Cleanitlikebanksysmaid Mon 27-Jul-09 08:22:39

Minky do a fantastic tower clothes dryer, holds 4 loads. Argos do them. About 30 quid.

PrincessToadstool Mon 27-Jul-09 08:24:51

A good airer with a window open. I don't have a tumble drier either and use airers almost all the time.

BikeRunSki Mon 27-Jul-09 08:25:28

I have a great IKEA clothes airer thing. About a tenner, holds at least a load. HAs got us through nearly a year of baby clothes and nappies. Not to mention DH's sports kit and (building) site clothes.

TheProgRockGoat Mon 27-Jul-09 08:26:53

i have a clothes pulley. can't beat it normal clothes dryers don't even come close! you do need a highish ceilings though.

Hulababy Mon 27-Jul-09 09:06:12

We have an airer in the utility room, and a tumble dryer for underwear and towels.

ssd Mon 27-Jul-09 09:26:12

on the days its not peeing with rain (I'm in Glasgow) I hang it outside

if it is wet I hang it in the living room, my house is like a chinese laundry

I dream of a tumble drier and a utility room

IdrisTheDragon Mon 27-Jul-09 09:28:09

I put mine on clothes airers. We are lucky to have a big kitchen and an aga though.

IdrisTheDragon Mon 27-Jul-09 09:31:17

I would love a ceiling pulley thing but we have low celings so would end up with laundry on our heads grin

sarah293 Mon 27-Jul-09 09:36:03

Message withdrawn

nannyL Mon 27-Jul-09 10:22:20

i have a fantastic high washing line that gets all the sun and breeze and can dry 2 loads in 2 hours smile

use this all year, but when it rains every day for days on end i have an airer in the spare room and an airing cupboard

i own a tumble dryer but rarely use it

mrsdisorganised Mon 27-Jul-09 10:27:56

Like you I also have no dryer and no heating (no hot water either but thats another story!) An airer is really the only thing I've got, tend to do the most important items when it's wet and then spend the day washing load after load on a sunny day.
Oh how I miss my rayburn!

Sorry not much help.

talking Mon 27-Jul-09 10:31:25

I've put the heating on for 20 minutes and pegged the washing onto clothes rails I bought from Lakeland that hang on the radiator.

Spidermama Mon 27-Jul-09 10:34:58

I have an airer and I hang them outside whenever possible.

I love my airer but it does mean there's a large space of wall I can't use for anything else, like a badly needed cupboard./

I think anyone who exclusively uses a dryer has really not thought through the carbon implications and is living well beyond their eco means. We are at tipping point. We must try to be sustainable in our energy use.

foofi Mon 27-Jul-09 10:42:31

Have never owned a tumble drier. Clothes hang outside when fine and inside when not.

oysterpots Mon 27-Jul-09 10:44:19

God, it's rubbish isn't it?

We've been given one of those pulley airer things but not sure about where to put it - kitchen ceiling is quite low so it might have to go in the bathroom. From your comments it sounds like they're worth having!

I might try and get a big pole wink to raise my washing line up high - that way, I can take advantage of my very windy garden too.

Thanks everyone.

Cleanitlikebanksysmaid Mon 27-Jul-09 12:04:41

Yay to big poles and high washing lines - everyone along our street can see my knickers drying but I don't care two hoots! Gets the washing dry and soft super quick and hardly need any ironing.

ChristieF Wed 29-Jul-09 13:46:11

We had a ceiling airer in the Victorian house I grew up in. Close to an open fire. Called a Dolly Maid are they? I'd love one but wouldn't fit our modern house. Also not keen on too mucvh wet washing about. A tumble drier costs around £100 and lasts for years and years. What about an indoor airer shaped like an open umbrella. Had one from Argos for years and fab. Hang clothes on it from coat hangers. Needs to be in a warmish room. Ours in kitchen where boiler is. In winter next to radiator. Only use tumble drier when need to (wet out and wet towels or sheets). Couldn't be without tumble drier. What about when you wash duvets or pillows or dog beds? Couldn't get them dried otherwise. I have noticed that in wet cold areas like Devon and the Lake District that clothes simply don't dry on indoor airers.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 29-Jul-09 13:55:34

Outside when the weather is fine. If it is raining I have a ceiling pulley thing (laundy maid) above an aga so things dry pretty quickly. If I have loads of washing (eg bedding) and it can't go outside it has to go in the tumble dryer, but that is the last resort

claireybee Wed 29-Jul-09 14:13:56

Washing line apart from when it's raining and airer when it is raining.

Cristie I usually only wash pillows/duvets etc in summer and hang them on line-no need for a tumble dryer. When dd was sick on her duvet last winter and I needed to wash it I hung it on the airer in front of a radiator and it dried within 24 hours.

cheesesarnie Wed 29-Jul-09 14:24:42

i want one of those big minky airers-a friend has one and they look fab.
tbh i couldnt cope without the dryer.i put a load on the airer(also doors,banisters etc) and still end up doing 1-2 loads a day in the dryer.

i want to rain to stop so i can use the line!

fanjolina Wed 29-Jul-09 14:44:07

I employ people to blow on it

grin

cheesesarnie Wed 29-Jul-09 14:47:33

fanjo-wow i wonder if there is anyone who offer that service round here.

i could get the dc to do it-that'll entertain them!

SausageRocket Wed 29-Jul-09 14:49:34

If too wet for outdoor washing line then a combo of...

tumble drier for towels and jeans

airers for lighter stuff

bannisters for duvet covers and sheets

fanjolina Wed 29-Jul-09 22:30:28

for real entertainment cheese, host a mini rock concert and get them to dry the washing by waving zippo lighters near it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now