Talk

Advanced search

Moving House -any tips on keeping 10 month old safe and happy?

(4 Posts)
bearhug Fri 24-Jul-09 14:27:59

I am dreading this in a big way - I have moved house before, but never before with a baby!

Unfortunately we don't have family near who could take DS off our hands for the duration of the move.

I'm thinking of letting the removals company do most of the packing so we don't have boxes around for days. Anything else we should consider?

poppysocks Fri 24-Jul-09 14:44:25

We moved house when DD1 was 11 months, so similar. I had booked her into nursery but she had a tummy upset so couldn't go.

We had packers so at least didn't need to worry about that. On the morning, while they were in, DH took her out while I dealt with the move. We set up the travel cot in a (by now) empty bedroom and she had a nap there. Once the house was empty and we were cleaning, she just crawled around and played with the few toys I'd kept back. I didn't need to watch her as closely as usual as the hazards had nearly all disappeared! She was very keen too on copy me cleaning the window and liberally smeared one I remember. grin

The first thing we did once into the new house was to get her room straight and let her spend a bit of time in there before we put her to bed. We also followed her very well-established bedtime routine to the letter. I seem to remember she did wake that night, but was pretty easily reassured and went back and was fine after that.

The real problem came the following week when DH fell very ill, DD still wasn't able to go back to nursery, I had to get back to work and the unpacking still had to be done. Like you my family were not close, but my dear Mum did do a 600 mile mercy dash.

Am sure it will all go fine. Good luck!

bearhug Fri 24-Jul-09 14:59:06

Thanks Poppysocks - good advice about getting his room ready first and sticking to the normal bedtime routine.

Hope you are all healty again!

Geepers Fri 24-Jul-09 15:04:02

We booked our children into a childminder for the day. Can't imagine anything worse than a child underfoot all day, it's stressful enough as it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now