Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

grain weevils . . . YUK!!!

(7 Posts)
killashandra Thu 23-Jul-09 21:35:55

I have just spent ages cleaning out my cupboard and throwing away a ton of pasta, rice and flour - full of horrible black bugs.

Now I keep finding the odd stray one, any tips for preventing them? I'm going to get cannisters for everything, but is there anything I can do to repel them? I've never had trouble with them before hmm

amazonianwoman Thu 23-Jul-09 22:13:48

I had the same a couple of weeks ago - yuk, it felt like they were crawling in my hair.

Mine came from an oldish opened box of dry lasagne sheets. Obviously I don't make lasagne frequently enough hmm

I'd say just don't keep pasta/rice/flour too long and keep the bags sealed with those bag clip things. I always buy flour in boxes with lids.

Suedonim Thu 23-Jul-09 22:45:38

Make sure you vacuum out the cupboards as well as wash/wipe with a cloth, in case the little blighters are lurking in cracks.

I mostly live abroad and keep flour in the freezer so the bugs don't get in.

Washersaurus Thu 23-Jul-09 22:48:56

I had a mad clean out of my cupboard (vacuumed and wiped) when I found I had flour mites in the cupboard - I now insist that everything goes into airtight glass containers....I hadn't thought about the lasagne sheets though (we get through those fairly quickly)!

Washersaurus Thu 23-Jul-09 22:50:05

<Tries not to google for images of said bugs>

whomovedmychocolate Thu 23-Jul-09 22:51:27

Generic bug spray will kill the little bastards once you have cleaned and stop them coming back for a loooong time.

Dust is their friend, as are spilled packets. Don't buy elderly food from the corner shop which may have sat there a while - supermarkets have fast turnaround which reduces the risks of infested food coming to you.

Clip top tubs are the thing though, they can't live without oxygen!

killashandra Fri 24-Jul-09 08:40:24

Good idea about hoovering there were a couple in there this morning.

I'm def getting containers for everything.
I do get through pasta quite quickly but flour and rice one week I use lots then hardly at all for ages...good intentions don't last long wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now