Talk

Advanced search

I have been washing up all day - dishwasher crisis - any advice, please?

(10 Posts)
yogabird Thu 23-Jul-09 21:30:47

Bosch Classixx dishwasher had been fine until last night when it flashed its little red light and indicated that it needed its water checking. So I switched it off and stuck my head in the sand and went to bed. This morning I <hopefully> switched it on again and walked away. Nope - still broke! So I took out all of the dirty and now congealed and smelly pots and washed them in the sink - took an age! I then cleaned out the dishwasher and poked my hands into its murky depths in search of something! I then took a screwdriver to it and gave some of its parts a good unscrewing! Poked more and still nothing changed. There is water in the bottom reservoir bit. Anyone know anything useful about dishwashers?

LynetteScavo Thu 23-Jul-09 21:33:50

I think it's more likely to be the outflow pipe that is blocked. Give it a wiggle - it's under the sink.

LynetteScavo Thu 23-Jul-09 21:35:06

I have that dishwasher, but it doesn't have that light. Maybe mine isan older model.

snigger Thu 23-Jul-09 21:37:02

Had it been working up until last night?

If it's had any length of time unused, priming it with a pan of hot water with a couple of capsful of vinegar added and running empty can help if a seal has dried out, or the water 'primer' has evaporated.

Sidge Thu 23-Jul-09 21:39:30

If it's not draining check the drainage pipe. Pull out the machine and check the (usually ridged) tube that comes out of the back. It might be clogged with food, congealed fat or scale.

If that's clear it might be the drainage pump which will need Someone Who Knows What They Are Doing to look at it.

Anifrangapani Thu 23-Jul-09 21:40:41

Paper plates til the new one arrives grin

yogabird Thu 23-Jul-09 21:41:29

off to wiggle pipes now - will report back grin

sherby Thu 23-Jul-09 21:42:46

try this forum

yogabird Thu 23-Jul-09 21:47:49

Ha!! Hurrah and huzzah! Many thanks you wise ones. I have wiggled the things pipes and dragged it out and jiggled it and pushed it back in and <whispers> it's going! Marvellous!

Sidge Thu 23-Jul-09 22:08:50

Hurray!

I would run it tomorrow with a dishwasher cleaner to clean out any crud; they are expensive but apparently do the job. Make sure you run it on the hottest possible wash, and always make sure you scrape all pots and pans and clean the filters regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now