Advanced search

Would a steam cleaner work for this? If so, can you recommend one?

(6 Posts)
TheYearOfTheCat Wed 22-Jul-09 21:21:32

We have a rental property which we are in the midst of cleaning / decorating after the tenants have moved out.

They must have been addicted to chips, because the kitchen is absolutely covered in grease! Every surface - tiles, cupboard doors, worktops, floors - are completely sticky with grease. I have spent hours scrubbing with Flash, kitchen cleaner with bleach etc - to no avail.

Would a steamer work on this? Can you recommend one?

TheYearOfTheCat Thu 23-Jul-09 10:36:14

bump anyone?

I've been doing a bit of research, and I'm debating whether to go for one of those polti steamers, or a combination one which vacuums as well.

Any thoughts?

muddlinleigh Fri 24-Jul-09 14:29:33

A Steamer would probably work but a cheaper alternative would be to use a strong solution of soda crystals, cuts right through grease.

TheYearOfTheCat Sun 26-Jul-09 00:06:22

Thanks - I will give it a try tomorrow - although I am also now the proud owner of a domotec steam cleaner - as yet unused!

shonaspurtle Sun 26-Jul-09 00:20:49

Cif cream is also excellent for grease.

TheYearOfTheCat Thu 30-Jul-09 22:22:45

Soda crystals are the BEST!!!!

I can't believe I have never used these before - absolutely fantastic! Great tip muddlinleigh.

My new steamer also worked really well - I used both in conjunction with one another. I went through a whole box of crystals, and have been cleaning pretty solidly for a week - I have even been dreaming about it.

I discovered that we have a really nice chinese slate floor - it was so thick with grease I thought they were black tiles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now