Talk

Advanced search

MICE!! Any sure fire ways to get rid of the critters??

(6 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 22-Jul-09 09:20:21

We live in a victorian terrace house which backs onto a cemetery. We moved in a year and a half ago - and immediately noticed the evidence of mice. So made sure we cleared up after our toddler, put down some toddler friendly mouse traps, blocked up as many holes as we could (though being a victorian house with holes in floorboards no chance of blocking them all) - and all went quiet on the mousey front. However last night we saw one scuttle under our tv so they're back. Cant borrow a cat as DH is very allergic to them. Any top tips on getting rid of the critters

TheBoosh Wed 22-Jul-09 16:31:12

Sounds like you've done quite a lot already! we had them a year or so ago and I have to say wire wool in any crevices you find and then poly-filler over it, but the only thing that really worked for us was real traps bated with chocolate.

Good tips for traps are to lay down some flour first so you can see where they are coming from / going to and then lay traps there accordingly. Make sure the trap is flush to the wall. They tend to keep close to walls to use their whiskers as a sort of scouting device so very rarely will they just run around in the middle of the room! Difficult if you have a toddler, but best to lay traps at night and then check in the morning so less risk of the little one getting snapped fingers!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 22-Jul-09 16:35:51

We have a couple of electric things which you plug into a socket. They send some sort of pulse down all your wiring which mice can't stand the sound of. It doesn't harm them, just encourages them to look elsewhere!
We had mice, and then once we installed these they went away pretty much overnight. That was 18 months ago and we haven't had a return.

SparkyToo Tue 04-Aug-09 19:57:00

Ours have just returned as next door have started doing building work - they always appear when things are disrupted one side or the other. I'll be keeping an eye on this post as we need to know. My husband does all the mouse traps etc - but it does get a bit boring and tiresome, especially when they just come back again.

We did buy one of the electric things mentioned above - I'll have to find it again!

londonartemis Wed 05-Aug-09 21:46:33

Try two or three strategically placed traps laid close to walls - as they prefer running alongside furniture, rather than wide open spaces. We found chocolate/Nutella worked. if you don't get a mouse in a day or two, reload the trap and moved it somewhere else. We also found, that once one or two mice were caught, the others (if there were any) were scared off.
I have also used Rentokil in the past who are brilliant at identifying how they will be getting in, and what to do about it. But unfortunately that costs!

londonartemis Wed 05-Aug-09 21:47:35

PS We had the electric pulse too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now