Talk

Advanced search

Give me some tips/recommendations.......

(9 Posts)
pscc Sun 19-Jul-09 17:55:50

moving into our new house on 27th of this month (after staying with pil- another story!), can you please give me some helpful tips/advice!

pscc Sun 19-Jul-09 18:15:17

anyone? no one?

IsItMeOr Sun 19-Jul-09 18:19:19

That's quite a vague request - anything specifically about the move that you're not sure how to handle?

My general tip on moving into a new house would be to live with it for a bit before jumping in and rebuilding/redecorating/buying loads of furniture, as that lets you get used to it, change your mind a few times and save up so that you don't need to do it on credit. But I'm not sure I'm very in step with the mood of our time - maybe that's changing now?

HTH

pscc Sun 19-Jul-09 18:30:29

more so on the unpacking side- do I do it all asap? one room at a time? each box as it comes in? really dreading it.

IsItMeOr Sun 19-Jul-09 21:55:07

Really sorry pscc but it's been 13 years since we moved and I can't even begin to imagine having to pack everything up so will probably live here until we die. I appreciate that's not much help to you!

In life in general, I always find that having some sort of system helps, if only to give the illusion of control grin. So maybe the answer to your questions is to think about what things you do most regularly and come up with a plan to have the things you need to do them available asap. E.g. if you have dcs, then probably need to have their bedrooms and bathroom functioning and something to feed them with as a priority.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm clueless, you're on your own Mrs. (Runs off and hides).

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Jul-09 21:56:57

Be very ruthless with the belongings that you take into the new house.

A friend once told me that it is best to have one room really comfortable (preferably living/sitting room and/or bedroom) so that if the rest of the house is a tip then you have a bit of sanctuary from it all.

div22c Tue 21-Jul-09 15:28:12

If you haven't packed yet, then here are some suggestions...

Agree with onepieceoflollipop - declutter as you go along. Keep a big plastic bag/ cardboard box where you can keep putting stuff you wish to give away/ sell off /donate to charity.

Definitely pack room by room, it is much easier to put the boxes in the correct rooms in the new house and then unpack gradually. That way you will not have to go through loads of boxes when emergency strikes and you need that one elusive item.

For each room, make 2 suitcases/boxes - one with stuff you can do without for the next month, one with stuff you will need right away. That way you can unpack one box in each room right away (the essentials), and take your time with the rest. Make sure to label the boxes as you pack them so you know exactly what is in each one (e.g. Kitchen - Essentials).

Hope these are helpful (and not too 'organised' or too obvious!!).

samja Tue 21-Jul-09 15:34:15

Buy garden rubble bags for all clothes that won't go into suitcases. Fill them and seal with parcel tape and mark what in each bag with a permanent marker.

It takes up less space in van/truck and saves you money in boxes.

I'd agree to have boxes marked "essentials" for each room and also getting one room sorted straight away.

Make up beds asap when you get to the new place. There's nothing worse than staying up late unpacking and then having to search for the f ing to go to bed!

I also do a spreadsheet of what needs done each day on the run up to the move and the week or so after. Change of address, registering with docs etc.

samja Tue 21-Jul-09 15:37:33

effing duvet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now