Talk

Advanced search

How much do you put by for weekly shopping and where do you shop?

(11 Posts)
wineyesplease Thu 16-Jul-09 19:57:15

Trying to work out a budget for shopping and trying to work out how much I relistically need,I have DP and two young children.any ideas please.

SingleMum01 Thu 16-Jul-09 21:00:15

These days, probably £75-100 per week to eat well, although you could probably do it cheaper. Asda is good value.

Hope this helps.

wineyesplease Fri 17-Jul-09 08:22:32

Thanks for your advice, Im currently shopping at tesco but will change to Asda as I think its cheaper, thank you.

dreamteamgirl Fri 17-Jul-09 10:30:58

I spend £30-£40 but I work and DS is at nursery. I suspect it will be going up soon as he starts school and the au pair arrives. I shop at Morrsions and Tesco

£75 for the 4 of you sounds about right, I reckon

SingleMum01 Fri 17-Jul-09 10:41:49

If you're strapped for cash and have a market nearby you could do your fruit/veg shopping there at the end of the day, they always slash the prices then.

MrsGokWantstogotoHogwarts Fri 17-Jul-09 10:52:16

Also check out this board on MSE

Moneysaving Oldstyle

The grocery challenge is a good read

randomtask Fri 17-Jul-09 10:52:37

I tend to spend £50 an average, for me, DH and DS (aged 8 but eats as much if not more than me). But I'm veggie and we often have a couple of 'veggie meals'. Definitely cut down on meat (if you eat lots) and look at packed lunch costs. DS likes cheesestrings and Frubes and they make it stupidly expensive (he now gets cheap frubes but they're still a rip off).... If we have a week of only one portion of meat (which will last 3 meals easily) and no alcohol (but fresh veg etc), then we can pay as little as £35. But then I'm a skin flint and we base our meals around the 'rice/pasta/potato' theory so that bulks it all out.

audley Fri 17-Jul-09 19:22:12

I really struggle to spend less than £100 per week just for DS, DH and me. We do eat meat everyday though and I buy everything in the supermarket including clothes and skincare, so thatadds to the bill. Am off to read the moneysaving link myself smile

NervousNutty Fri 17-Jul-09 19:24:55

£50-£60 for 1 adult and 3 children, oh and 1 cat. I shop online with Asda.

Noonki Fri 17-Jul-09 19:35:00

DS x2 (DSS w/es) and us two, with nappies and wine and milk (in that order!) about £75 a week,

that includes pack lunches for us all.

Shop local organic shop for cheap veg, asda and Aldi for everything else

wineyesplease Sun 19-Jul-09 12:20:24

I've tried to spend £50 on average a week, I was shopping at Tesco but going to change to Asda I think, thanks for all your input ladies.Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now