Talk

Advanced search

Washing a beanbag cover?

(16 Posts)
Spottyotter Thu 16-Jul-09 13:58:37

Tell me. Anyone ever done this without covering your house with polystyrene beads? And how?

mummypig Thu 16-Jul-09 14:04:10

Doesn't your beanbag have an inner cover/bag? If not, you could try making one. No-one will see it most of the time, so it doesn't matter how rough and ready it is as long as it keeps the beads in.

Our beads were in a net thing, a bit like the stuff they cover Christmas trees in for carrying back home. It was okay until the polystyrene beads got squashed and were small enough to start squeezing through the wholes. So I made a new inner cover from an old duvet cover that had a long zip on it - we use this if we need to top up the beads.

cookielove Thu 16-Jul-09 14:04:17

erm, usually they come in a seperate bag underneath the cover. I'm sensing not for you though so i would get a couple black bags, undo the zip, asumming that its not full to the brim, would use a large mug or bowl, or jug e.t.c and transfer over into the black bags. make sure you shake the black bag open first though. However you will expect some spillage and the once there is static the balls will stick to everything, good luck grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 16-Jul-09 14:05:57

Definitely the biggest black sack you can buy and pour the beads into it via a funnel. Then make an inner bag so you don't have to do it again.

Would leaving them in the black sack and putting that in the bean bag cover work?

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:06:52

no mine don't have internal bags.
Never been able to transfer them to bin bags (you will need more than one per bin bag) without losing about a quarter of them. I now have one normal bean bag and one slightly deflated one Does anyone know where yu can buy new beans??
Also expect to hoover up beans for months afterwards angry

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:07:31

I thought about making an inner bag, but surely that ruins the whole bean bag thing - the way it moulds itself to your bum iyswim?

cookielove Thu 16-Jul-09 14:14:54

you can beans from curtain stores, paul simon i think, you can also get them off the market but i don't think that is every market, but mine def. would def make your own inside sack, we have outdoor bean bags that are meant to water proof (at nursery) they are not, unless wee doesn't count as water. they have inner sacks that are made from a stretchy muslin type material

Mumsnut Thu 16-Jul-09 14:15:23

John Lewis sell the beads - or used to. I have an old fashioned 'His Master's Voice' gramophone - I take off the horn and use it as a funnel ...

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:17:54

ooh we have a good indoor market here, and if not, JL, thanks.
I don't get the funnel thing - you need 3 pairs of hands to hold and tip the bag, hold the bin bag and hold the funnel!

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:18:40

oh and don;t fall into the trap of thinking you can put the bean bag entirely into the bin bag and then reach in and turn it inside out.
Doesn't work. No idea why, but it doesn't!

cookielove Thu 16-Jul-09 14:20:15

this is why a bag is essential

KirstyJC Thu 16-Jul-09 14:23:18

I tried using a bin bag to decant the beans into when DS1 used our beanbag as loo roll one day! It did't work very well 'cos the plastic bin bag seemed to get all the beans stuck to it with static! Maybe that's why you can't turn it back inside out?

I must admit, I didn't think about making another bag to go inside blush but will definitely do it next time. I like the funnel idea too, but I agree you would need another pair of hands.

moshie Thu 16-Jul-09 14:34:58

Someone gave a tip on here once of emptying the beans into the bath, haven't tried it myself but remember that it was successful for the person who had asked for advice.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:42:42

that's an idea! Yes, I think it is the static that causes the problems, which it wouldn't in the bath.
Would be a pain to get them all out again but at least they'd be contained! Going to try that next time (soon, am nesting!) thanks!

Spottyotter Thu 16-Jul-09 14:46:55

Might try the bath idea. Why on earth aren't they all made with an inner bag?? Have to do it today while I've got me sleeves rolled up and am in the mood. Might be months before I summon up the energy again. Thanks everyone.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:52:40

KNowing my luck, 2 mins after I empty it and put the cover in the wash DS will have a huge poo, of the type only a good bath can sort out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now