Talk

Advanced search

grey streaks on washing -what casues it?

(9 Posts)
brimfull Wed 15-Jul-09 17:31:43

is it sludge from powder build up

shall I change to liquid

dreamteamgirl Wed 15-Jul-09 17:36:13

Have you tried cleaning the machine first? It is most likely dirt and sludge in drum and around seals

brimfull Wed 15-Jul-09 17:41:34

have put on ccycle with cleaning stuff

will it still happen with liquid

clumsymum Wed 15-Jul-09 17:44:48

I was getting sludgy stuff on the stuff I took out of the washer a few weeks ago, had no idea where it came from.

DH and I spent a merry hour, cleaning the filter, scrubbing out the detergent drawer (including the top where the water squirts down from), wiping in and around the rubber seal in the door, and then running it empty on a hot wash, with a good dollop of thick bleach in the drawer.

Seemed to do the trick.

Apart from scrubbing mould off the detergent drawer, I never actually clean the machine otherwise, just don't actually think about it.

brimfull Wed 15-Jul-09 17:47:21

thanks

looks llike I'll need to get my hands in there then

dreamteamgirl Wed 15-Jul-09 18:06:31

In answer to your other q, liquid can still cause sludge to build up in pipes yes.

By cleaning machine, I just mean:
pull the draw out and clean and soak it,
wipe round the rubber seals
then run a 90 degree wash with a vinegar soaked cloth in machine and vinegar in the tray to clean it all out.

Not labour intensive or anything- takes about 5-10 mins, plus the time for the machine to run on empty (about 1 hour 20 on mine)

brimfull Wed 15-Jul-09 21:14:59

thanks dreamteam

ChristieF Fri 17-Jul-09 12:09:20

When you say grey do you mean lightish? Could it be the soap powder? I'm finding that recently Tesco Colours powder has been making streak marks across clothes. I just rub it and it comes off.

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 17-Jul-09 12:23:29

I use liquid and get it - it's from the sort of gunky build up by the seal. Bizarrely, my whites and blacks are the clothes that get it worst!

Mean to do a serious cleaning session on the washing m/c soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now