Talk

Advanced search

Cut flowers. What do you buy? Where do you put them? And how much are you prepared to spend per week?

(13 Posts)
nkf Sun 12-Jul-09 18:53:42

They are my new treat to myself. I've just started working somewhere which has a flower stall. My current favourite are lilies. I can't believe how much of a difference they make. Do you buy flowers? What lasts well? Are those packages of powder worth the effort?

Sagacious Sun 12-Jul-09 18:57:23

I buy tescos (usually up to £6 a week)

Have tried everywhere (independents/other supermarkets)

nothing lasts longer

God knows what they spray them with

nkf Sun 12-Jul-09 19:00:51

Do Tesco deliver flowers? I might add it to the weekly shopping bill. They make me just as happy as a bottle of wine after all.

PurlyQueen Sun 12-Jul-09 20:08:14

I stole a tip from Betty on Mad Men.

Adding a crushed aspirin to the water does make flowers last longer.

MarshaBrady Sun 12-Jul-09 20:17:10

Around £15 every 2 or 3 weeks when not working. Probably every week when I am.

Antique-ish looking roses, right now big mop head hydrangeas on kitchen table. Love cut flowers.

Medee Sun 12-Jul-09 20:27:58

Lilies last really well, just remember to cut the stamens out or they'll stain things. Fresh water and a new cut on the bottom periodically.

I spend £5-10 every couple of weeks.

Sheeta Sun 12-Jul-09 20:30:50

£3 from Waitrose. Last lot lasted almost a fortnight!

NumptyMum Sun 12-Jul-09 20:31:34

Warning if you have cats though - there are certain flowers that are lethal to them, I think these include tiger lilies, not sure about normal lillies... see www.moggies.co.uk/articles/easter_lily.html

brimfull Sun 12-Jul-09 20:31:58

love cut flowers but

from an independent florist

or they will disappear

anything in season

Medee Sun 12-Jul-09 20:34:54

and there is a same issue with buying flowers as buying food; do you buy from abroad to support e.g. African economies, should they be growing flowers at all, and what about the airmiles?

bebesequin Sun 12-Jul-09 20:49:38

Aldi flowers quite reasonable, I tend to buy tesco around £6 a week usually lillies-M&S last really well but pricy these days I also try to bulk mine out with bits of greenery from garden-just love them- sadly have a DH who thinks flowers are a waste of money and hasn't bought me any in 20years sad

Bombus Tue 14-Jul-09 13:44:23

We've got a nursery near us and the farmer puts out pots of flowers with an honesty box and you just choose what you want and leave the money. It's fab! I get a lovely big bunch every week for about £2. Lovely local flowers for not much money. And it makes me happy to live in an area where there is enough trust in people to put out an honesty box.

SparkyToo Wed 15-Jul-09 22:56:34

I love them - but must admit rarely splash out on cut flowers. I sometimes have an orchid around as they last weeks and weeks! Really get your money's worth and they look gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now