Talk

Advanced search

Fireplaces in a child's bedroom. I don't want to use it but I would like to make it look pretty.

(14 Posts)
nkf Sat 11-Jul-09 11:18:40

That's it really. It's a tiny, narrow Edwardian style fireplace and it's all broken. Shall I just get it fixed and leave it. Or is there something one can do to make it a nice centrepiece?

CarpePerDiems Sat 11-Jul-09 11:33:13

I picked up an old mesh fireguard at a household auction yesterday (but have seen them in lots of places). It has thin, metal strips crisscrossing it and dd has attached some of her favourite paintings, photographs and trinket type things to it. It looks very pretty and fills the gap.

Concepta Sun 12-Jul-09 14:26:29

When I was a child we had a fireplace in our room. My dad closed off the chimney and made a shelf that fitted neatly into the space. We placed our ornaments there. It was nice -my dad wasn't a carpenter but he did a good job of it.

Concepta Sun 12-Jul-09 14:27:32

I should have said - shelves not shelf. It was a bit like a mini bookshelf. Hope you get sorted. It would be a shame to lose such a nice feature in the bedroom.

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 14:35:22

Ours is a Victorian type metal fireplace with surround. We have put fairy lights in the grate and little fairies sitting in there. Looks lovely in the dark.

We change it to a den for teddy bears sometimes too.

wastingmyeducation Sun 12-Jul-09 14:37:00

We had a fireplace in the living room when I was younger and to keep it looking nice in the summer I made some flames out of cardboard and paint and we'd prop it the grate.
Definitely get it fixed, they're so beautiful.

nkf Sun 12-Jul-09 18:55:23

I like the idea of lights. Some sort of glow. For Christmas Eve when I'm reading stories. I'm such an old romantic.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 12-Jul-09 18:56:59

Next had some nice strings of lights - we have ones of fairies hanging in a string from the curtain rail.

Waswondering Sun 12-Jul-09 19:02:45

Either a fire screen or fill the grate with pine cones and something like a Raggedy Annie doll, surrounded by cute fairy lights!

Sounds lovely!

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 12-Jul-09 19:11:39

treedelivery could you post a photo, sounds lovely!

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 19:48:08

<<panics when reflects on state of playroom>>

<<remembers the icing sugar is still in grate from Christmas Eve and santa making a mess coming down the chimney>>

Yes, I'll get onto it.

<<runs>>

CarpePerDiems Sun 12-Jul-09 22:37:04

treedelivery, that's a lovely idea. I think we'll be adding lights too.

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 22:44:30

Will do pic tomorrow. smile

themachinist Tue 21-Jul-09 21:27:26

We have teddies sitting on a wee stool in ours, and mantlepiece has trinkets and postcards and cute things on it... i love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now