Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone wash at a low temperature and REALLY manage to get their washing clean? Am I doing somehting wrong

(39 Posts)
scaredofthegarden Wed 08-Jul-09 17:30:54

Just putting the clothes away - not something I do too often since the cleaner usually does it blush and have noticed that hardly anything is clean. I have two DSs 4 and 2 and so things get pretty dirty but I thought it was supposed to be possible now to wash at 40 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?

mrsmaidamess Wed 08-Jul-09 17:33:13

Are you putting washing powder in?

grin

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 17:35:42

I have this prob at 30 but usually ok at 40. Tried changing yr powder?

scaredofthegarden Wed 08-Jul-09 17:35:51

I'm not a domestic goddess but I'm not THAT bad grin. Am I using too little though perhaps. I read on MN that you don't need as much as you think and so have reduced the amount I use a bit.

scaredofthegarden Wed 08-Jul-09 17:36:51

I'm also using a short cycle. daily wash 44 minutes at 40 degrees.

scaredofthegarden Wed 08-Jul-09 17:36:53

scaredofthegarden Wed 08-Jul-09 17:36:55

scaredofthegarden Wed 08-Jul-09 17:37:20

No idea what happened there

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 08-Jul-09 17:48:21

I find a short wash doesn't get clothes clean with my machine.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 17:49:26

I do the cotton wash 1hr 12 - maybe that makes a diff

ThingOne Wed 08-Jul-09 17:49:50

I only use my quick wash on things which really aren't dirty. I was at 30 or 40 for normal clothes, on the normal wash. Things seem fine to me!

fairybubbles Wed 08-Jul-09 21:49:18

I do a 30 deg wash, 30mins, stains come out fine. The key I think is not to overfill the machine, at least that's certainly the case here.

Also washing the clothes right away, so that night, rather than waiting to the next day could maybe make a difference?

All bedding towels etc are done at 60deg

whomovedmychocolate Wed 08-Jul-09 21:53:12

I just had to clean my machine after using low temperature washes for a while - it was full of mould. You are supposed to run your machine on 95 degrees with a cup of vinegar in it once a month - did you know that? I didn't hmm

The gunge that came out was appalling - run your finger round the inside of the rubber seal and see shock

Tis no wonder the clothes weren't getting clean!

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 21:59:37

Ewwww I did not know that- will go and look now

BlueKangerooWonders Thu 09-Jul-09 06:46:46

I think if you can hang clothes to dry outside, it really gets them cleaner.
But dodging the tropical showers aint easy

scienceteacher Thu 09-Jul-09 07:07:23

You need to use full-cycle washes.

If you use the 40-minute wash, you will be flushing unused detergent down the drain.

A 2-hour wash has long soaking periods where the detergent can do its business.

Are you using biological powder - this is the stuff that works at 30/40 degrees.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Jul-09 08:35:19

Anybodyhomemcfly - did you sweep the seals? Were you deeply disturbed? grin

abraid Thu 09-Jul-09 08:53:18

I agree with hanging out washing rather than tumbling. Sunlight will remove some stains.

You need the full cycle at low temperatures.

Ariel bio powder is the best for 30 degrees--I found this out via a link a MNer posted here a while back.

I also stick some vinegar in with each wash to help get rid of mould and limescale (hard water area here).

TEJQ Thu 09-Jul-09 14:06:50

Def do a once-in-a-while very hot short wash cycle empty if you use low temps regularly and/or use washing liquid/liquitabs most of the time.

Both of the former can cause the washer to become smelly as the undissolved liquid can collect into a gunge in the sump, which low temps doesn't effectively dissolve and wash away, after time it becomes smelly. Also leave your washer door open when you can between washes so that it can dry out and not grow mould.

wisterialane Thu 09-Jul-09 14:17:20

Interesting about the vinegar thing - I have the same problem with my machine and was wondering the best way to de-gunk! it is truly horrible!

So do you just put a cup of vinegar in the detergent drawer? And do you use malt vinegar or something else?

I'll do mine this afternoon - Thank you!!

gardeningmum05 Thu 09-Jul-09 14:23:26

white vinegar in your machine.
i use white vinegar as a rinse aid in my dishwasher too wink better than the real thing

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Jul-09 14:30:33

I used value brand malt vinegar (and wanted chips all afternoon afterwards grin) does the job. It's all acetic acid at the end of the day.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Jul-09 14:31:21

oh and I soaked a cloth in vinegar and put it in because otherwise a lot is lost when you pour it into the drawer (the drum has holes in.)

wisterialane Thu 09-Jul-09 15:53:06

Thank you... off to try it now - will report back on gunge levels grin

wisterialane Thu 09-Jul-09 15:53:09

Thank you... off to try it now - will report back on gunge levels grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now