Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing question

(10 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 06-Jul-09 16:48:15

I haven't dyed anything since 1976. However, I bought DH a lovely white dressing gown in the same fabric as this (they don't seem to have the dressing gowns available any more). He wears it a lot, and of course it gets grubby fast. He'd like me to dye it blue (well, I suggested it) but I see that dye packets (for washing machines - the dg is big and heavy and there's no way I could get proper coverage by hand) say they'll cover up to 600grammes and the dg is a lot heavier than that. Is it Ok to use multiple packets?

TheOddOne Mon 06-Jul-09 16:49:24

Yes use two packets - but you'll only need one dose of salt iirc.

TheOddOne Mon 06-Jul-09 16:50:05

And wash a dark load next in the machine - just to be on the safe side.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 06-Jul-09 16:50:08

Yes, you can use two packets but the same amount of salt as for one packet.
You just get a slightly lighter colour if the weight is over what it says on the packet.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 06-Jul-09 17:14:31

Thanks ladies - I've now weighed it and it looks as if it'll need four packets. shock Is that OK?

TheOddOne Mon 06-Jul-09 17:25:58

If i was you i would get the darkest blue and use two packets. If you're still not happy do it again to make it darker. You might like the colour with two. I can't help but think it will clog up your machine to put four packets in.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 06-Jul-09 17:38:46

I don't think I'd use four.

Horton Mon 06-Jul-09 17:45:55

I think I'd use three as a compromise but I suspect two would be all right. Four does sound like a lot. The packets seem to do more fabric than they say they will with no colour fading. A tip for machine dyeing - do the dye wash on 40C as they tell you, the next wash on 60C which will take out some of the loose dye (but it will be less likely to run in the wash) and the last machine cleaning wash on the hottest one you have available. Also, remember that any visible stitching will almost certainly be done in synthetic thread and will remain white.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 06-Jul-09 22:54:19

That's great ladies, many thanks. I think I'll go for two to start with and see how it goes. Thanks for the extra tips, Horton.

Horton Tue 07-Jul-09 16:13:25

I used to dye things professionally when I worked in theatre. I rather miss it. Hope the dressing gown turns out well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now