Talk

Advanced search

Invasion of fruit flies...HELP!!

(10 Posts)
misspollysdolly Mon 06-Jul-09 16:01:48

Has anyone else got masses of fruit flies invading their house/kitchen at the moment...??! Please tell me I'm not the only one!?

Any thoughts on how to get rid of them...? I'd appreciate any suggetions. Have put all food away, especially fruit, and am now making sure that our dirty plates and such go straight in the dishwasher rather than being out on the side waiting to be wahed up for any amount of time. I know they are a seaonal thing and that they will go eventually but it's still horrid though - there are hoards of them in the bin and they all fly out whenever I open it to put something in! AARRGGHH!

Tiredmumno1 Mon 06-Jul-09 19:12:51

I had that problem once, as soon as i had put the food away, i chased them round with a hoover lol

Tiredmumno1 Mon 06-Jul-09 19:27:19

Oh yeah, and make sure u have no potatoes hiding anywhere, as that is ur usual culprit, as soon as they r gone, its not long til the pesky mites sod off. Hope u sort it

Montifer Mon 06-Jul-09 19:30:07

This is a satisfying way to get rid of the little blighters!

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 06-Jul-09 20:14:04

You can set up a fly catcher - what you need is a cup with some red grape juice with the tiniest amount of detergent in it. If you have a funnel then all the better. They are attracted to the grape juice (best after a few days) and the detergent prevents them from flying, they drown! That is what we used to use in a lab full of fruit flies to catch the little buggers that escaped our clutches

fruit flies don't actually eat fruit, they are after yeast, so anything like overripe grapes and soft fruits will attract them. Oh, and they tend to like to buzz around my beer for some reason. They are pretty harmless though.

cheapskatemum Tue 07-Jul-09 18:16:52

We've got 2 strips of good ol' fashioned fly paper hanging down from the ceiling. Doing a good job too; time to change them as they're choc a block!

goldrock Tue 07-Jul-09 20:33:50

not only have we got loads of fruit flies but I've just been out to the bin and its pulsating with maggots which weren't there yesterday - does the heavy rain bring them out ? As if I haven't got enough to do -grrrrr.

misspollysdolly Wed 08-Jul-09 14:18:21

cheapskatemum, where did you manage to get the good old fahioned fly papers...?! I can't find them anywhere. DH got some modern new fangled ones, but they are not sticky enough and the flies don't stick hmm - Doh! Have had some success with the vinegar/honey/washing-up liquid fly catcher suggestion. Yuck to your maggotty bin, goldrock. Not nice!

MaggieTulliver Wed 08-Jul-09 14:30:06

put bleach down your sink plugholes as they can breed there i think.

mejon Wed 08-Jul-09 17:49:32

We were innundated with flies during the recent very hot spell but thankfully there don't seem to be as many now. We've got flypaper too - I don't like it particularly but it does work. We got a pack of 6 or 8 from Morrisons I think (same aisle as the matches and such like I think). A hardware shop should stock some too - failing that, have a look at Ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now