Talk

Advanced search

Freezer defrosted overnight by accident - do I throw out contents?

(9 Posts)
LittleWeePickle Sat 04-Jul-09 21:52:41

Freezer door was accidentally left open overnight, so is it dangerous to eat the food, including chicken, which is inside, and re-frozen after being totally thawed?

Suppose it is overdue for a clean...

WesternBelle Sat 04-Jul-09 21:58:20

Absolutely dangerous without a doubt.

Please throw it all out. Everything, even ice cream which looks innocent enough.

Bear in mind that even if you ate it, it will probably come straight back one end of the other grin so you're not saving anything. Spare yourself the pain...

lulalullabye Sat 04-Jul-09 21:59:01

Don't eat it, but if it still slightly chilled then cook it and then re freeze if you can. If it is all warm then it is the bin i'm afraid !

thisisyesterday Sat 04-Jul-09 22:00:18

hmm i'd be a bit wary if it's been defrosted and then re-frozen.

you'd have been better off cooking anything you could this morning and then re-freezing

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 22:04:47

Agree to cook some of it, the stuff that you can make into something, like mine into spaghetti bolognaise etc, then refreeze. Anything that is not able to be made into something straight away throw out.

Maybe you can claim on house insurance if a lot of money?

LittleWeePickle Sat 04-Jul-09 22:05:26

Oh dear. Thought as much really...

Gonna chuck it all - it was a few nights ago, it's all refrozen. Contents include a fair amount of fish, ice cream, home cooked roast veg for 2 yo DS1 and minced beef.

Tomorrow I will do a big defrosting sesh. Fridge and freezer are rank TBH, not been cleaned in 2 years (just before DS1 born) so perhaps this is a good thing...

Thanks for all comments!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 04-Jul-09 22:05:45

ah saw it has re-frozen. no, not ok, esp chicken.

lulalullabye Sat 04-Jul-09 22:10:01

Do not eat anything if it is all now refrozen otherwise you will end up on the loo for days grin

LittleWeePickle Sat 04-Jul-09 22:15:58

Well, I am a bit constipated.... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now