Talk

Advanced search

How do I get the grout on my kitchen floor clean and bright again?

(5 Posts)
Bettymum Fri 03-Jul-09 12:59:09

When we moved in to our house 18 months ago we had lovely cream grout between the kitchen floor tiles. Now it is a horrid brown/grey colour. How best to clean it?

Who would put cream grout on a kitchen floor anyway? Only a male builder trying to sell his shiny new house...mutter mutter.

penona Fri 03-Jul-09 15:17:24

You can get a grout whitener product which we have used in the bathroom, like a sort of pen and you paint it on. Not sure if it comes in different colours though (bought from BnQ). Or you could regrout it lightly in a darker colour so you don't have to clean it constantly!!!

thighsmadeofcheddar Fri 03-Jul-09 15:26:18

Bicarb soda, make a paste up with water and use your toothbrush. It's a pain in the a but it truly works. ( I got the tip from another mumsnetter)

catinthehat2 Fri 03-Jul-09 15:39:30

Nuclear option.

If you are really desperate, lock everyone out of the kitchen, and pour runny bleach over the grout and leave it. Don't use thick stuff it will be very foamy to mop up. Wash floor later. All grout will be lovely and white.

Try testing a patch first

etc

Bettymum Fri 03-Jul-09 16:32:49

Thanks for these! Will try bicarb first and bleach if that doesn't work. I have seen those grout whiteners but I don't want to just paint over the dirt
When we redecorate in 10 years' time I'm getting darker tiles and dark grout grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now