Talk

Advanced search

Help me design the inside of my, new, much longed for, built-in wardrobes

(7 Posts)
2009 Wed 01-Jul-09 13:54:47

Ok, so I'm finally getting some built in wardrobes in my bedroom. Fed up of the rails and chest of drawers smile smile

My father is going to build the frame and doors etc but I have to tell him what I want inside. Its been so long since I had a proper wardrobe that I don't know what I really need and am getting confused!

Has anyone done this before? What do I need? He is asking me about hanging rails, shelves etc etc

- hanging rail - should it be full length or short?
- lots of shelves or do I need drawers as well?
- what about the shoes, do I need to buy something to go on the floor that will hold them? if so, where?

Aggghhh, my dream is turning into a nightmare of decisions shock
Any advice is much appreciated!

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 01-Jul-09 14:02:46

Do you have any design books or an IKEA catalogue? Perhaps you can get some ideas from there?

DH and I have a shelving system with drawers - they are easier to get into and stack..

Can you have two lenghts of rail - need some full length ones for coats, dresses and short ones for trousers, shirts ..

We use the shoe bags - long, thin material ones that hang from the top and shoes go into there in pairs.

Is your cupboar also going to be ceiling height - good to have some see through containers to store your seasonal stuff.

Lucky you !

2009 Wed 01-Jul-09 16:25:20

Ooh good idea, I do have an Ikea catalogue somewhere. I will dig it out and copy, although sometimes I think things are laid out to look good rather than being practical.

Part of the cupboard will be ceiling height, so I guess I just need to make sure the dimensions would fit useful size storage boxes.

Not sure about shoe bags, are they individual bags that you hang up on hooks on the door?

GrapefruitMoon Fri 03-Jul-09 10:38:40

Definitely plan the frames so that they will take standard fittings from somewhere like Ikea - mine don't hmm

claricebeansmum Fri 03-Jul-09 10:42:59

Depending on how much space you have...

2 x half height drawers for you and DH soxs, undies etc
Then above that shelving for t-shirts, jumpers

Hanging - I found that one third full length was useful for evening dresses, coats etc and then two thirds having two half height rails for skirts, tops, DH suits etc.

spiralqueen Fri 03-Jul-09 10:58:32

Ikea have a brilliant pull out shoe storage system.

Are you sharing wardrobe space with DH? You need to work out how much of everything you need to find a home for. Clarice is right about the mix of full height rails and half height rails.

Drawers v shelves - depends on whether you like to see everything or not. Shelves good for storing bags/hats/makeup bags. You need shelves up high for out of season stuff/suitcases.

Rosie29 Sat 04-Jul-09 14:34:16

i would definitely included 2 different lengths for hanging clothes. We only have a short space, I thought I would be alright with it. I was very wrong, desperately want to hang up my skirts and dress without folding them in half!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now