Talk

Advanced search

Range cookers - do you ever use the small cooker?

(11 Posts)
pippylongstockings Tue 30-Jun-09 20:03:41

For the first time in my grown up life we are about to by a brand new cooker - I would really like a range type cooker but really dont know if getting one with two ovens are worth it, as the small ones seem very small. They don't even look like you could warm a plate in there.

We can only get one that is 90cm wide to fit in the space - so would I be better off just getting one big oven?

I figure any cooker is better than all the 2nd hand ones we have had for the last 15 years - Boring post but any top tips gratefullt recieved.

Tambajam Tue 30-Jun-09 20:09:00

I've got the 90cm. I use the small one quite a bit. It heats up much more quickly and it is worth buying special trays that fit the space exactly. I use it for fish fingers etc. It's perfect when you are doing a roast and the meat can go in the main oven but veggies or dessert can go in the smaller.

Just one thing - if you are getting a new kitchen and the oven manufacturer are offering a new free dishwasher as part of their package DON'T do it. It is such a RUBBISH dishwasher for so many reasons we are actually buying a new one after 4 months and not even bothering to get it repaired.

paranoidmother Tue 30-Jun-09 20:10:01

HI we looked into this at the beginning of the year and found we couldn't fit a plate in the small one and had trouble finding and type of dish that would fit it. So we went the whole hog and knocked out a cupboard and got a 110cm. Which I must say is fantastic.

We have the following rangemaster and it is fantastic. Most of the time we only use one oven but have the plate warmed, griddle and other oven just in case.

It's all easy to clean. Got a couple of oven liners from Lakeland to keep the ovens clean.

rubyslippers Tue 30-Jun-09 20:12:42

i use it a lot and i love having 2 ovens

I can do a roast in the main oven, then trays of potatoes, veggies etc in the small one

you do need to use smaller trays etc but that is no big deal

CountessDracula Tue 30-Jun-09 20:16:28

I use the grill in teh smaller one a lot
it means you don't have to use the grill in the main oven which is often spattered with stuff and smokes

pippylongstockings Tue 30-Jun-09 20:34:51

"this is the one I was thinking of www.dixons.co.uk/.../Range...Cookers/SMEG/C92DX/159747"

I have only used one oven at a time up to now so it's all new to me!

pippylongstockings Wed 01-Jul-09 19:54:43

sorry not good at linking.
try again www.dixons.co.uk/.../Range...Cookers/SMEG/C92DX/159747

nigglewiggle Wed 01-Jul-09 19:58:44

(Link is still not working).

We have a Falcon 90cm and it is brill. As others have said, it warms up quicker, so good for a quick tea and it's great to have 2 ovens for big dinners.

We can't warm dinner plates in the small oven, but standard rectangular oven trays fit.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 01-Jul-09 20:11:20

We have a 90 cm and we use the small one the whole time.

pippylongstockings Wed 01-Jul-09 20:56:42

Well clearly I need a lesson in linking blush

3rd time lucky this

I guess I worry that it will look pretty but with two boys what I really need is a wacking big oven to cook huge meals for them!

nigglewiggle Wed 01-Jul-09 21:34:01

It looks good. I think the big oven would be fine for BIG dinners.

On the Falcon the big oven has a grill at the top so is possibly not even as big.

To give you some idea (for a big family dinner) I cooked - roast beef, roast pork, roast potatoes, yorkshire puds, roasted veg. I used both ovens but there was plenty of room.

I don't know how hungry your boys are, but I think that should fill-em up! grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now