Talk

Advanced search

Knives. How do you keep yours sharp?

(6 Posts)
HuffwardlyRudge Tue 30-Jun-09 13:54:25

I was brought up in a family where knife sharpening was a manly pursuit for men.

hmm

The men in my family sharpen knives with whetstones or those long ridgy stick thingies. NEVER with anything that might make the job easier or less manly. (My father is still uncomfortable talking about the Christmas my middle brother's wife gave my middle brother an electric knife sharpener from Lakeland).

hmm hmm

Now I end up with a dh who couldn't find the pointy end of a kitchen knife with written instructions and a Youtube demonstration clip.

Soooooo... I have blunt knives. I bought a thingy with lots of circles that you draw the blades through, but I keep nicking the blades which isn't ideal.

What do you do? Help me.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Tue 30-Jun-09 13:57:40

I don;t.

for some reason all my knives are still sharp, and I bought mine cheap before DH and I even got married.

not sure if that means they were (are) in fact very good knives, or I don;t use them properlyhmm.

mind you, I go thru scissors a lot as I cut up meat with scissors normally.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 30-Jun-09 14:01:07

You can buy a stick thingy to sharpen them with, looks a bit like a lightsabre made out of bumpy metal IYKWIM. My dad used to use sandpaper IIRC. My knives rarly need sharpening for some odd reason though.

Have you thought of asking at a key cutting place if they sharpen knives??

emmab16 Wed 01-Jul-09 09:04:09

I use a chantry knife sharpener from lakeland - not the most thrifty thing to buy but it works a treat and has lasted for ages....

stealthsquiggle Wed 01-Jul-09 09:13:37

lightsabre-style steel here as well. Top tip is never to put proper knives in the dishwasher - they lose their edge completely.

(OP - would it entirely emasculate your DH if you were to get your father to do mass knife-sharpening next time he visits?)

Dorothyredboots Wed 01-Jul-09 12:30:33

I have taught myself to sharpen my own knives with a steel (a la Gordon Ramsay) grin.
I just sharpen a few times every time I use them. Wash them by hand and keep them in a knife block (as opposed to all jumbled in a drawer which is how it was before I bought some decent knives!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now