Talk

Advanced search

How do I clean a coir doormat?

(9 Posts)
BlueKangerooWonders Mon 29-Jun-09 21:04:21

I hoover it regularly (ish!) but it's starting to smell (I think, can't work out what else it would be).

The mat is huge - 1.5m x 2.5m.

Any ideas?

Thanks

whomovedmychocolate Mon 29-Jun-09 21:16:49

Well if it is rotting there is not much you can do - it's a natural product. If a cat has widdled on it, it will rot and it will smell horrid until your ceremoniously burn it.

Sorry.

You could try Febreze to kill the whiff though.

BlueKangerooWonders Mon 29-Jun-09 21:40:20

No cats - only dc. And pretty sure they haven't! (though will ask them tomorrow!!!)

Will go for Febreze tomorrow.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Jun-09 09:18:28

You might want to try something like carpet cleaning foam (don't use wet stuff though - foam is better) or you could try vegetable oil soap and a dry brush - is v labour intensive though.

morningpaper Tue 30-Jun-09 09:21:59

They really need replacing every couple of years ime

ABetaDad Tue 30-Jun-09 09:24:21

Is the mat costantly wet or full of dirt - hence the smell?

Perhaps leave it outside in the really hot sun to dry all day today and then bang out the dirt by swinging it hard against the house wall. Hold one end and give it 20 or 30 good bashes then then get hold of the other end and do again. Do both front and back.

Good stress buster too. [GRIN]

ABetaDad Tue 30-Jun-09 09:32:57

Don't breath the dust in though. Stand with the wind to your back.

As it is a big mat maybe DP/DH may have to swing it. Otherwise hang it up and beat it to death with a stick.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 30-Jun-09 09:44:19

We have a couple of coir doormats in recessed footwells . I tend to hoover them everytime I hoover the hallway but also use ABeteDads method every now and again.

I'll warn you, the amount of dust and dirt that comes out is shocking !

I haven't noticed ours smelling though. I'm wondering whether yours has maybe got very wet at some point, not dried out properly and therefore gone a bit mouldy or musty?

Schulte Wed 01-Jul-09 20:42:51

Buy a new one! I just did and the place smells much nicer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now