Talk

Advanced search

getting rid of "old book" smell. I want my children to be able to use them

(8 Posts)
radstar Fri 26-Jun-09 23:00:11

Hi - I haven't discovered this part of mumsnet before but thought of you all when I found out all my all childhood books today.

I kept them in boxes in the cupboard under the stairs, I didn't think it was damp but they have that old bookshop smell.

Can you get rid of it? I really want my children to enjoy reading them but at the moment they smell quite bad, the smell stays on your hands.

Don't get on the computer much so apologies if I don't reply regularly, but I'd appreciate any advice. xx

TheProvincialLady Fri 26-Jun-09 23:03:10

Thet just want airing really. Leave them somewhere dry and warmish with an open window and give them time. Some of the smell will be chemical breakdown of the paper due to acids in its production, so they are never going to smell like new books again, but I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Part of the charm of old books is the smell IMO.

smallchange Fri 26-Jun-09 23:03:52

Awww I love that smell grin

I think if you put them out on a shelf it will gradually wear off.

startingagain Fri 26-Jun-09 23:28:09

Do you mean a damp smelly old smell? I saw on a cleaning programe on tv that you can sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on them to take away the smell. Might work!

MoominMymbleandMy Fri 26-Jun-09 23:46:41

I have never tried it but I read somewhere that the smell will go if you tie the books up in a bag of unused cat litter for a couple of weeks.

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 26-Jun-09 23:52:56

I saw one of the Kim and Aggie programmes, where they put the books into sandwich bags with a used tumbledryer sheet torn in two and put between pages of the book.

radstar Sat 27-Jun-09 10:06:03

Thanks for the advice - I saw the programme about the tumble dryer sheets, they have to be used don't they? Unfortunately we don't have a tumble dryer, perhaps I should ask my Mum to save hers for me!! It certinly sounds a good idea.

FrannyandZooey Sat 27-Jun-09 10:09:34

out on the lawn in the sunshine can work wonders

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now