Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do i go about getting a trustworthy cleaner?

(6 Posts)
mad4myboys Thu 25-Jun-09 20:47:42

dh has said i can have a look round at getting a cleaner a few times a week as have poorly baby and toddler and just never get to clean house properly.

Anyway i dont know anyone round here whos had one so cant go on recommendations and i have seen some advertised but is there some sort of website that can point you in the right direction? Like you can get nannys etc?

Also is a big company likely to charge more tthan say a s/e person?

mrsmaidamess Thu 25-Jun-09 20:50:34

I reckon a big co. will charge a lot more but will have insurance should any accidents happen. Do you ever get leaflets about cleaners put through your door? We get mountains of them.

mad4myboys Thu 25-Jun-09 20:55:28

erm no! i get plenty of takeaway ones and gardening ones!

I an look on yell for big company but again, i dont even know the big companies! ive always said no to a cleaner as dont like the idea of a stranger in my house (im a very private person) but how our situation is at the moment, i know it would take some stress off me

DesperateHousewifeToo Thu 25-Jun-09 21:01:59

I think word of mouth is the best way but if you don't know anyone who has one that could be quite tricky!

Try calling a few people advertising in your local shop window.

Ask for references and call them. Think about what is important for you to make this work for you.

After 3 different cleaners, I know I want someone trustworthy, a good timekeeper, reliable and generally, someone you are happy to have in your home. Obviously, being able to clean and iron well and use their initiative is also important.

You could perhaps agree on a months trial and then make a decision at the end of that time as to whether it is working for you.

3littlefrogs Thu 25-Jun-09 21:04:45

Word of mouth IMO.

I have had some horrendous experiences with agencies/big companies.

Do you go to a toddler group at all? Could you ask there?

DesperateHousewifeToo Thu 25-Jun-09 21:08:26

I mean call the people acting as referees (make sure to ask about how long they have had the cleaner for and any problems they have had). I also asked whether the cleaner held keys for the other people too as I would want to know that they would look after them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now