Talk

Advanced search

quickest/easiest way to defrost a freezer

(3 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Jun-09 10:16:24

stupid dh didnt shut the door properly last night on freezer

now i have a snow flurry in my freezer and half frozen food hmm

most has gone into other freezer, throwing away the prawns - not worth taking the risk sad

have unplugged and left door open

now what

thank you

CherryChoc Thu 25-Jun-09 10:30:51

Oh this happened to me the other week! I hate throwing stuff out, so I put the half-defrosted things in the fridge to be either used asap or cooked and re-frozen, I'm not sure it's safe to refreeze food which has partially defrosted. Still had to throw quite a bit away though

If the food is safe, you can just leave the freezer to defrost on its own (low-maintenance option)

Put LOADS of towels down.

The way I did it was to get a washing up bowl full of hot water and lots of sponges/cloths, then sponge the hot water onto the ice which melts it and then use the sponges to mop up the cold water and squeeze into another bowl. I also scraped a lot of the ice out with a spoon as it was very frosted up. I got fed up after a while and put the bowl of hot water inside the freezer and that dislodged the solid blocks of ice from the top of it and really moved it along quickly.

If you want to do it really quickly, use a hairdryer, but be careful of dripping water.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Jun-09 10:33:44

hot bowls sounds the way to go

i keep hearing thuds as ice chunks fall off

got loads of towels on floor

rang dh in a strop and all he said

<will be beaten up later>

it wasnt me, must have been you but least it is only water!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now