Talk

Advanced search

I need your top tips on getting tomato stains out of clothes please.

(14 Posts)
Jojay Fri 19-Jun-09 16:35:11

I seem to be chucking clothes and bibs away like there's no tomorrow. Ds2 is weaning and it's VERY messy.

I use Persil bio powder and wash at 40 degrees, and use fabric softener. I line dry whenever possible.

Does pre soaking help. What with?

Arrrhhh!

Jojay Fri 19-Jun-09 16:35:52

Forgot to say, sometimes I'll wash really messy clothes at 60 degrees but it doesn't seem to make much difference

spiralqueen Fri 19-Jun-09 16:49:07

Not just tomatoes - I've given up trying to get rid of blueberry stains.

Can't find a pre-wash (like Vanish etc) that actually works.

Would love ideas too!

bubblagirl Fri 19-Jun-09 17:01:52

try here

Fayrazzled Fri 19-Jun-09 19:06:38

I use the Tesco own equivalent of "Oxy Action Stain Remover"- the one for colours. In the user instructions on the side there is one for tough stains: basically you mix a quarter of a scoop of the stain remover poweder with hot water to make a "cream" and apply direct to the stain, leave for 10 minutes and then wash as usual. I tend to increase the strength of the "cream" and leave for longer than 10 minutes, but I have found this to be the only way to remove a number of stains including blueberry.

cheapskatemum Sat 20-Jun-09 19:54:59

Can't answer for blueberry as it's not something my (older) DCs manage to get everywhere, but I find tomato stains get sunbleached out beautifully. Make sure the stain is in direct sunlight next time you line dry.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jun-09 19:56:36

Definitely sunlight for tomato stains.

Not sure about blueberries

Galava Sat 20-Jun-09 20:00:09

tbh I think the stains fade eventually.

Keep washing as you do and soon they will look better.

I used to keep one or two bibs aside for those 'special' times when you are out and about in public, then it looks like you are in control of your washing grin

Does it really matter at home if they are a bit stained. I think not.

yousaidit Sat 20-Jun-09 20:03:38

scrub fairy liquid (the washing your dishes stuff!) in to the stains and leave to soak in fr a while before putting in the washing machine, i always have to dio this with dds clothes smile

Clure Sat 20-Jun-09 21:08:12

I always soak first in cold water, then the best stain remover I've found is the Ecover, it has a built in brush that works the stuff into the stain. Then wash it. if stain still there I work in more ecover, leave it on and put on the line to dry

MrsBonJovi Sat 20-Jun-09 21:13:48

Sunlight is the best stainremover as already suggested.

Personally I would try and use Tommee Timpee roll and go bibs or a plastic all in one bib/overall...can be put into a nappy bag when out and about and then just washed up when at home...kinda elimates the clothes dilema!

choccynutter Sat 20-Jun-09 21:15:04

my mum swears by baking powder can't say i myself have tried it but when my boys were younger and she had them she always had got stains out I been trying for yonks xx

Jojay Sat 20-Jun-09 21:35:52

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll give them a go.

Sunlight does help I agree ,but doesn't get everything out, unfortunately.

Good idea sbout keeping a couple of bibs for 'best' and use the awful ones at home LOL

If only it was as simple as using plastic bibs - Ds2 wears an all in one cover up thingy with arms and still manages to trash his clothes. He is THE messiest eater!!

welshdeb Sat 20-Jun-09 22:18:13

Fairy green soap or similar rubbed in hard to dampened stain . Leave for a bit and wash on hot wash. Fades the stain, it might take a few goes to get it out.

You could try household bleach, but this is not recommended for delicate fabrics or coloured items.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now