Talk

Advanced search

Help! Dyson has lost suction!

(10 Posts)
MummyDragon Fri 19-Jun-09 10:38:06

Something similar has probably been posted on MN before but I have got to dash out and don't have time to search ... and really need help please!

My Dyson (my second Dyson, ggrrr, the first one spluttered and died and I stoopidly bought another one) has lost most of its suction. I have cleaned all the filters and cylinders and hoojamawhatsits etc but it is obviously b*ggered.

I'm really loathe to spend a small fortune buying a third Dyson ... can anyone recommend a good alternative? Needs to be an "elephant" style one (i.e. not an upright), must be able to deal with an abundance of pet hair and kids' mess, and adapt to both carpets and hard floors ...

All advice welcome, thank you smile

abraid Fri 19-Jun-09 10:40:47

Have you taken every single part of the Dyson to bits? Especially the hose: each section? Will it suck if you take off the hose?

If you ring the Dyson helpline they are VERY good about talking you through a DIY inspection and repair. They've bailed me out twice and I've had my Dyson for 11 years now.

MummyDragon Fri 19-Jun-09 10:44:07

Thanks *abraid" - I will try phoning them. Yes, I have taken the hose off but it still won't suck. Will ring them when I have time later after the school fete wink

redsky Fri 19-Jun-09 16:53:49

the dyson helpline sorted me out too. There were far more bits than I had realised that could be taken apart, and the blockage was soon located. Good luck.

swanriver Fri 19-Jun-09 18:16:23

filter not washed is main cause
wash and air dry you may find that's reason

I just bought a different make and was amazed how bad my dyson had been for lst five years (though still sucking obviously)
Now can get under pieces of furniture

swanriver Fri 19-Jun-09 18:18:13

oh jumping in without reading properly, see you have cleaned filter

Now I have a panasonic small one from argos about £89.00

MummyDragon Fri 19-Jun-09 18:44:20

Well, I've just rang the Dyson helpline - tel 0800 954 0154 - and they've talked me through everything, I've discovered a secret filter that I never knew existed, have washed the disgusting thing and it's all working fine .... 10 out of 10 for customer service to Dyson grin grin

abraid Fri 19-Jun-09 21:25:20

Yeah, they're great, aren't they? The man I spoke to was just so patient with me. I was almost weeping with gratitude.

It's great they sorted out your Dyson, too.

abraid Fri 19-Jun-09 21:26:19

I think my last sentence is a little ambiguous and sounds as though I thought the Dyson helpline man might have been sorting us out, rather than our Dysons...

COOLDUDE1 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:28:28

My Dyson died a death after nine years and having read numerous reviews I purchased the Hetty Numatic. I am so impressed with it, the suction is much better to that of the Dyson and I only paid £79.99 for it. It has a long cord, so you don't have to keep plugging it in, there are two setting - high - low. I used the high setting on heavy duty and the low setting on the wooden floors. It is great at going under furniture. I find it easier to use than the upright. It comes with five disposable bags, but you can get a reusable bag on a well known auction site. It has various attachments which I store in the pink Hety bag that comes with it. It is so easy to use, I have no regrets and it is much better than the Dyson and at a fraction of the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now