Talk

Advanced search

Come and talk to me about SKY TV

(16 Posts)
npg1 Thu 18-Jun-09 21:35:52

Hi. Trying to convince OH that we need sky! Had a look on their website earlier, they have a good deal of sky+ box, installed for £30, plus I would want the kids package, plus £10 for line rental and free eve and weekend calls and free braodband. Whats the catch? daytime calls mega high?

At the mo we have crappy 'normal' tv which im sick of and bad reception, pay £40 per 1/4 for BT rental plus £40 calls, £14 Tesco broadband.

Could we be better off?!

ThePhantomPlopper Thu 18-Jun-09 21:51:41

I don't know if there's a catch, I've never had a problem with Sky and find them very good for offers.

Phone them and ask. I'd use their broadband and phone package but its not available here.

npg1 Thu 18-Jun-09 21:56:35

I wonder if it wont be available here too then as we are in a rubbish area!

JRocks Thu 18-Jun-09 22:02:17

I have tv and phone but not broadband. Don't think there's a catch really, I've somehow ended up with free line rental from them which is good. For £5 per month you can do the anytime call thing, so daytime calls not so much of a problem if you need to make lots of them. I don't, and find my mobile contract covers that so the freetime works well for us.

If you know someone with Sky+ already you can get them to refer you as a freind, and I think it benefits both of you in someway - usually m&s vouchers and a deal on installation.

blimey - sounds like I work for them (I don't!)

littleducks Thu 18-Jun-09 22:03:43

how much do you need your current phone number?

wen signed up to the sky talk thiing and sky managed to 'loose' our phone number and couldnt get it back, so we had a new number hmm

it was a disaster to set up but there isnt a catch if the set up goes ok

npg1 Thu 18-Jun-09 22:08:29

Ok so just checked our phone number and the broadband isnt available in our area (typical!) so that will be £17 on top. We currently pay !3.67 with tesco.

So we could have the sky tv and freecalls and 1 package for £27.50 (think thats right £16.50 for sky, £10 for line rental and £1 for childs package)

But then would still pay ontop for braodband.

Not sure i can convince OH!

JRocks Thu 18-Jun-09 22:12:25

Do orange mobile still offer free broadband? That's what we have.

npg1 Thu 18-Jun-09 22:13:52

We have not long moved from orange to 02 because we have iphones! Thanks though

littleducks Thu 18-Jun-09 22:16:33

might be worth going to one of those blokes with a stand in the high st they can often do tthe best deals

(dh set up our sky and did it this way the second time, and he goes on sad people geeky type forums about tv stuff)

Dorothyredboots Wed 24-Jun-09 10:24:13

Just be wary about the £30 installation costs. This is for the 'basic' package which the Sky sub-contractors install. If you want a nice tidy job and no cables festooning the outside of you house then it may mean you going elsewhere and paying more. My architect husband did not want the Sky guys in the house - they were very dodgy and the did not have proper tools, looked shocked when he suggested they remove their shoes when entering the house etc. Nothing 'odd' about our house - new build town house but we ended up paying £175 for a lovely job. You get what you pay for. We are nerdy and particular!!! Incidentally I really like having Sky.

ThePhantomPlopper Thu 25-Jun-09 18:52:57

That won't be all of the Sky sub-contractors though Dorothy, you obviously got a bad lot.

Ours were fine, proper tools and no mess.

nannyL Thu 25-Jun-09 19:10:05

I pay BT £11 a month (line rental)
and sky £16 a month

i get 1 package included (you could choose the kids one), and free broadband (inc free wireles router) and free eve / weekend land line calls.

i use my mobile during the day

i cant fault it.

and i LOVE my sky+ box and wondered how i ever lived without it!

FanjolinaJolie Mon 29-Jun-09 14:22:39

The catch with Sky can be the speed of 'free' broadband in your area.

But you can check this on their website, I think.

ChristieF Tue 14-Jul-09 12:18:43

We've had Sky for about 5 years now and would never be without. Not so much for the programmes (there are some mighty bizarre ones and MUCH repetition) The Fab thing is the Sky Plus recording. At the press of a button (no video recorder)I can record any programme (up to 2 I think) and if you press Series Link it will automatically record all the programmes in the series. Unbelievable. Also when watching a prog you can pause live TV! Then play again when get back. And you can rewind live TV! I grew up in the times when there were no remote controls. We have a TV in bedroom with just a digi-box and it's crap. When it's working (and often isn't) the choice of progs is tiny. Sky is the way to go though not cheap.

ChristieF Tue 14-Jul-09 12:19:30

I forgot, we also now have the package wher Sky do your broadband, phone calls (not line) and TV and that's cheaper.

ChristieF Tue 14-Jul-09 12:21:29

Me again! Have found that if we've had problems with Sky we have phoned them and they are so keen to keep you that we have had two new boxes free when they have gone funny. Their customer service has always been great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now