Talk

Advanced search

Wasps nest - advice please

(13 Posts)
eddiejo Wed 17-Jun-09 17:52:21

Hi - We have just found a small (2.5in) wasps nest hanging to the ceiling of the garden playhouse. I have kept my boys away but what is the easiest way to get rid of it?

My DH wants to put a bin bag over it, seal it and put in on the BBQ! IS that a good solution??!hmm

PrettyCandles Wed 17-Jun-09 17:56:35

No- the bin bag would melt and ruin your BBQ, and the wasps would probably swarm out in a fury and exact their revenge!

You might be able to get a suitable insecticide at B&Q or similar, seal up all the doors and windows of the playhouse (and any other gaps) and fumigate it first, before removing the nest.

Personally I would not handle any 'live' wasp nest. I had to have one fumigated professionally in a previous home, and the fury of the wasps was frightening.

eddiejo Wed 17-Jun-09 18:57:11

Ok I will tell him to hangfire and seek the professional help - thanks.

geordieminx Wed 17-Jun-09 18:58:34

There was a thread on here a while ago about it... maybe about 2 months ago - lots of good advice.. maybe have a seaarch for it?

geordieminx Wed 17-Jun-09 18:59:56

here

FAQinglovely Wed 17-Jun-09 19:00:01

I'd get the pro's in - but ring around for the best price - they vary MASSIVELY in price. I had one last year and those wasps went absolutely MENTAL when he smoked 'em out and then blocked it up........

eddiejo Wed 17-Jun-09 22:17:03

Thanks ladies - am now too terrified to touch it. Will be calling the council tomorrow.

Thanks for the other post geordieminx - that's exactly what it looks like and to think - my little boys have been playing out there shock

PacificDogwood Wed 17-Jun-09 22:21:01

The council here use some kind of powder which they gently "post" through the entrance of the wasps nest. The wasps then carry the powder on their bodies further into the nest - and quietly die grin. We had no angry wasp and no fuss so I would recommend that method.
Defo one for the professionals IMO.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 17-Jun-09 22:26:19

I got rid of a very small nest myself (less than egg sized) from DDs playhouse ceiling by quickly putting a glass jar over it, then shoving strong card above it - sliced off quite easily as its only made of paper - and then just leaving the jar sealed up.

It wasn't swarming with wasps though, I think it may have been just a queen starting off then nest

Playhouses are obviously wasps des res!

bosch Wed 17-Jun-09 22:31:49

We've had wasps nests two years running in the same place in our playhouse. Appears quite quickly, always spotted it when around the size of an egg and full of larvae. Dh does what Grimma does re getting it in a glass jar and then put water in it sad. Also, wasn't swarming with wasps.

Washersaurus Wed 17-Jun-09 22:34:51

DH has a tried and tested technique for wasps nests of regular (approx hourly) spraying of Raid and fleeing for his life, until the wasps are all dead. He then smashes up the nest. It sounds so cruel put like that, but we had a really bad infestation upstairs when DS1 was born, they were all over the carpet upstairs in the bedroom and landing, on my slippers <shudder>

eddiejo Thu 18-Jun-09 21:06:06

Oh god - thanks guys. They are nasty little buggers aren't they!!

Might see how it's doing and try the jar thing.

As usual DH did not phone the council today so boys are banned from them playhouse sad

Will get onto it asap

Anifrangapani Thu 18-Jun-09 21:11:15

We waited until they went to sleep (at dusk) and then sprayed the nest with spray we got from Tesco's....

I say we dh did the spraying I did the buying grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now