Talk

Advanced search

can you put bleach in the washing machine?

(7 Posts)
wolfnipplechips Tue 16-Jun-09 14:52:37

I was wondering if it was possible to add thin bleach to the special treatments cycle of the washing machine. I usually do it in the bath but its a faff.

Does anyone know if i can add it to the machine instead?

theDreadPirateRoberts Tue 16-Jun-09 21:21:33

I'd get powdered oxygen bleach and put it straight in the drum - the liquid stuff's usually chlorine based, which is worse for your clothes (and hideous for the environment).

HTH

crokky Tue 16-Jun-09 21:22:43

I have occasionally put a small amount of bleach into the washing machine (grass stains in white clothes). I diluted it and put it directly in the drum.

MagNacarta Tue 16-Jun-09 21:25:04

I've used Ecover laundry bleach - works a treat and guilt free.

LastOrders Tue 16-Jun-09 21:26:52

Bleach will rot the rubber seal on the door.

But I've done it in the past shock wink

Gorionine Tue 16-Jun-09 21:27:07

I have occasionally as well. Each times I have run an empty machine after to make sure my naxt load of washing will not be damaged by any residues. It might not be necessary but I am cautioussmile.

wolfnipplechips Wed 17-Jun-09 14:59:38

Thanks everyone, i'll have a go. I only do it every couple of months. blush for not using ecover bleach but it doesn't seem to work on my sheets, they're i high thread count and dh's scabby rugby playing knees have left blood stains that i can't get out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now