Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone really manage to get stained clothes clean at low temperatures?

(10 Posts)
TsarChasm Tue 16-Jun-09 11:39:26

I mean grass staines, dripped lollies blah blah.

I have to use spray treatment and a hot wash.

But ads keep saying all that comes out at something like 15 degrees. It doesn't for me.

GooseyLoosey Tue 16-Jun-09 11:44:30

Doesn't work for me either. The white polo shirts that the dcs wear for school have become disposable items as I can never get the stains out (without resorting to industrial strength chemicals which are more expensive than the polo shirts themselves). I remember the first time I eagerly put a well known stain removal product into the washer, expecting results like the ads - but the stains were exactly the same when the clothes came out of the washer.

HeadFairy Tue 16-Jun-09 11:45:28

No me neither... I usually have to have a go at the stains with a stain remover pen. Even then it's not great... have resorted to bleaching a few white/pale items.

TsarChasm Tue 16-Jun-09 11:53:46

Ah! so not just me!grin

I do wonder how they get away with making these claims what with ad regulations being so strict.

When you see them washing baby's bibs stained orange and coming out white - I just know that's a big whopper of a porkie pie. That never happens!

saythatagain Tue 16-Jun-09 11:55:27

Never! I can't tell you how many pairs of summer frilly socks I have gone thru for dd school uniform!

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 16-Jun-09 11:56:44

I wash everything at 40 degrees and dry outside where possible. Don't seem to get too many stains not coming out.

TsarChasm Tue 16-Jun-09 11:57:30

Ooh childrens socks - the bane of my life. I think they only ever look nice just the once. The first day they're ever worn. It's all a grey downhill descent after that no matter what you boil them in.

saythatagain Tue 16-Jun-09 12:00:46

Yes TC, that 'oh look, she doesn't know how to wash properly'! Grey, murky and tatty..

Niecie Tue 16-Jun-09 12:01:18

No doesn't work for me either. Especially tomato based staines. A complete nightmare to get out. Many many t-shirts have gone straight back on the washing pile because they haven't come out clean enough first time.

I assume that the ads wash staines that are fresh which is why they come out so easily. However, nobody, in RL, is likely to whip the t-shirts off their DCs the minute their tea is finishd to bung them in the wash before the staines get dried on.

Walkingwiththighosaurs Tue 16-Jun-09 12:15:04

No they don't work. The ads are a complete con. You simply cannot get tomato based stains out at 15 degrees. In fact if you don't treat them at all with a stain remover, you would be lucky to get them out at 95 degrees. These ads make me very cross. I have been known to whip a t shirt off DS if a "dangerous" stain occurs. But only if it is a new white t-shirt etc, first time worn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now