Talk

Advanced search

washing tip wanted please

(5 Posts)
bonnyb1 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:04:09

Hi, I have a lovely little top for dd, only worn once, and I chucked it in the washing basket over the weekend without realising it was next to a damp flannel, and now it's gone all black and mouldy - I've washed it twice,soaked it and used vanish to no avail.
Any advice or do you think it's a goner?

Sidge Mon 15-Jun-09 16:12:37

Probably a goner. But if you may well throw it away I would give it a go with something before you do, as you've nothing to lose.

I have bleached things quite succesfully (Tesco value bleach well diluted in a washing up bowl), and also used Dettol Mould and Mildew remover on fabric - I wouldn't normally recommend it but it worked on DHs T-shirt hem!

bonnyb1 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:16:42

that's a good idea, I've got some of that mildew remover stuff, I hope it works, it's only been worn once!
Fingers crossed smile

EachPeachPearMum Mon 15-Jun-09 16:18:48

milton might help- give it a soak in the liquid obe- it can get mildew out.

PrettyCandles Mon 15-Jun-09 16:20:49

Ultimately a goner. Mildew rarely shifts successfully.

Bleach can work, but it weakens the fabric, and you may find that the treated areas start to fade or disintegrate after a few washes. Probably worth the try, though, if you would otherwise bin it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now