Talk

Advanced search

storage and decluttering tips please.

(6 Posts)
frazzled74 Mon 15-Jun-09 10:18:10

my house is overcrowded and a mess, please help. dd6 and ds 3 share a small bedroom,which is full of toys, no decent storage. my dining room resembles a playroom and ds 16 has a small room to himself which is a mess(again, no decent storage).
I have a cellar which could be made into a playroom but it is full of stuff. Please inspire me to declutter and organise. I am on a tight budget.

nightshade Mon 15-Jun-09 10:24:27

take each room at a time, starting with smallest and if it is broken, past its age band or a duplicate, of no earthly use or value, then get rid.

find some cheap baskets/boxes for rest of toys.

if there is no room in each child's bedroom for it, then it goes.

in my mind, a dining room should be a dining room. limit to one box of easily put away toys and get rid of rest.

each room should only contain items that are of use to that room.

mamadiva Mon 15-Jun-09 10:24:44

I've just started this thread

Also looking for storage solutions just to keep me organised! And again on a very tight budget!

Mybox Mon 15-Jun-09 10:28:24

Why not rotate the toys - put half away in boxes not to be played with & then swap them over after a few weeks. Cuts down on the amount of stuff they can take out. Otherwise sell half & put money away for xmas & birthdays.

Woooozle100 Mon 15-Jun-09 10:32:34

sterling advice nightshade

that is what I am going to do today

I tried the toy rotation - but just never really rotaed them. More like hid them elsewhere. Wow it will be like christmas now rotating them back (xcept I'm not stashing the original lot - charity shop beckons I think!)

frazzled74 Mon 15-Jun-09 10:54:00

rotation is a good idea. I could store some in the cellar ,Has anyone got any examples of good storage furniture (not ikea as I cant get there).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now