Talk

Advanced search

Getting BO stench out of clothes - help!

(19 Posts)
coveredinsnot Mon 15-Jun-09 09:43:09

It doesn't matter how many times I wash some items of clothing, but I just cannot remove the BO stench from the armpits of some of them. This is shameful, and some of these clothes belong to me and not my dp! How revolting. I stink. My clothes stink. What shall I do?

I use supermarket own brand non-bio powder mostly, but have done a few washes and even a soak using bio powder, but this has made no difference. The Stench remains.

Is there some amazing Stench-zapping product out there that will get rid of this embarrassing and rather costly problem? I can't replace my clothes all the time. Admittedly, it affects clothes made from man-made fibres the worst, but after a while even the cottons submit to The Stench.

Please tell me I'm not alone. But more importantly, please tell me what to do!

I have wondered if there is something up with my machine - when it's washing there's no suds in there just a bit of water and we live in a very hard water area. (Am I clutching at straws here?!)

And yes, I do use deodorant, but I am a bit of a sweaty betty, always have been and always will be. But never had such stinky clothes before...

Yours stinkily, and coveredinsnot.

pesme Mon 15-Jun-09 09:47:58

new washing machine? what temperature do you wash at?

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 15-Jun-09 09:50:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sweetheart Mon 15-Jun-09 09:51:53

I have used a mixture of white wine vinegar and bicarb of soda on my gym gear before and it works quite well.

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 09:52:16

Soak in Napisan, and then wash with bio powder. Perhaps some Calgon to soften the water too

coveredinsnot Mon 15-Jun-09 10:01:39

Washing machine isn't that new, but I know it doesn't use loads of water either as it's a fairly eco-friendly one.

How long should I soak the clothes in napisan for?

Thanks for the help ladies! I'm determined to de-Stench these clothes!

coveredinsnot Mon 15-Jun-09 10:02:32

And for the white vinegar and bicarb mixture, how much of each should I use? I've never done anything like that before!

6inchnipples Mon 15-Jun-09 10:09:17

What about trying a dif deodrant??

I have to say i find i'm paricularly sweating post natally for the first few mnths esp and i find having hair under my arms helps. This was at the suggestion of my dp who rarely smells sweaty and it rreally helps. It may not look so pretty but then my armpits are not on show often enough for it to be a big problem for me.

Also i would think bio wash liquid more effective at combating the sweaty smell on clothes. Try an occasional 60 degree wash if the clothes can handle it.

And honestly the hair works, it may not be to everyones taste but lots of european women don't shave their armpits, and its for this reason.

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 15-Jun-09 10:11:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coveredinsnot Mon 15-Jun-09 10:15:21

Wow I never even thought about the hair thing, I wonder what my dp would say! Actually i don't think he'd mind. I might try it as an experiment. But it would limit what clothes I can wear - I wouldn't want to distract people with a blast of armpit hair!! I find it so distracting - it's so unusual in this country... Hmmm.... Perhaps I'll try the calgon and bio and vinegar and bicarb first, then the hair!

6inchnipples Mon 15-Jun-09 10:15:29

rather you than me then, smell is much more important imo!! grin

6inchnipples Mon 15-Jun-09 10:16:32

Of course you have to be gorgeous to carry off the look wink

HelloBeastie Mon 15-Jun-09 10:16:40

I'd try the Calgon. The hard water kind of cancels out the effects of the detergent, so you might basically be washing your clothes in water alone, which isn't going to remove smells.

Or try using more detergent, I suppose.

coveredinsnot Mon 15-Jun-09 10:25:57

6inchnipples I don't think I can carry off the hairy armpit look to be honest! I think I'd look scary as hell, rather than alluringly French...

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 10:28:22

Initially, try a 12 hour/overnight soak in napisan. Then add a dose to normal washes

Kammy Mon 15-Jun-09 17:47:32

Try adding soda crystals to the wash.

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 15-Jun-09 18:08:48

You are not alone snotty blush

Just wanted to say that. I have always had this problem.

I use calgon and bio powder but still it's there... And sometimes i think things are fine but when they warm up under the pits it starts coming...

Going to try soda crystals! smile

sunshineandrainbow Mon 15-Jun-09 18:11:47

have you tried using Mitchum deodrant?

soda crystals may help added to a wash

PhaseAte Mon 15-Jun-09 19:23:29

I have a couple of thin summer t shirts this happens to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now