Talk

Advanced search

I am moving in 7 days time, I have not packed one single thing and don't even have any boxes please come and kick me up the arse

(13 Posts)
JustcallmeDog Sat 13-Jun-09 22:04:27

Message withdrawn

JustcallmeDog Sat 13-Jun-09 22:53:05

Message withdrawn

oneforward20back Sat 13-Jun-09 23:03:06

For request of a kick here's a big boot (size 12) grin

Have you tried Argos - they actually sell boxes for packing, or if you are using a removals firm you could as the company as they might have some.

Pack a emergency box - kettle cups bits for tea/coffee and minor food prep might need before you get chance to tackle the rest of the stuff.

good luck.

GentleOtter Sat 13-Jun-09 23:13:22

I totally sympathise and wish the House Moving Fairy could come to help you. I will hoof you up t'arse if you hoof me one back.

As a veteran of house moving and away to move for the 65th time, I find it works best if you just lob stuff into boxes or Ikea bags. The last 15 moves I never even wrapped a glass or dish and nothing has broken.

Ask for any help from friends/family/ bewildered passers by/ anyone.

Good luck in your new home smile

LyraSilvertongue Sat 13-Jun-09 23:15:56

Look on eBay. I got a set of boxes of different sizes, delivered next day, for a reasonable price. Also came with bags, tape, bubble wrap, tissue paper etc.
Start now. You will regret it come moving day if you don't. There's so much more to do than you think. I've moved many times and I know what a nightmare it is if you don't start early.

JustcallmeDog Sun 14-Jun-09 09:13:27

Message withdrawn

Thandeka Sun 14-Jun-09 09:36:43

freecycle often has moving boxes on there and the best bit is you can freecycle again after.
good luck!

purepurple Sun 14-Jun-09 09:41:52

When DH was in the RAF we moved a lot. The removal people would arrive with boxes, pack everything in them, deliver them to the new house and then unpack. Bliss.
But it was expensive.
We do our own packing now.
Pack everything except your knickers, toothbrush and the kettle. You will need these.
Just remember to label all your boxes so you know what's in them.
And resign yourself to the fact that it will probably take you weeks to unpack them all.

Good luck!

Starbear Sun 14-Jun-09 09:55:26

2nd pure purple. At least set aside one box for kettle, plates tea coffee sauce (for fish & chip supper) bed stuff toothbrush.
NOW shall I help you?
TODAY YOUR MISSION IS THE FRONT ROOM
RIGHT YOU NEED THREE PILES. KEEP *CHARITY SHOP**IN THE BIN* (if you haven't sold it by now you are never goning to) BE TOUGH. VIDEOs ARE YOU GOING TO WATCH THEM EVERY AGAIN! does anyone want a book with jam on and the corner chewed throw it.
RIGHT come back to me this evening and I'll score you.
Next will be the bedroom......

bigeyes Sun 14-Jun-09 09:59:05

Boxes from argos - they open at 10am in some places get extra tape.

Ikea bags that someone else said are great

I would tackle wrping breakables first this took me ages. All other soft items like clothes etc can be chucked in ikea bags.

You MUST throw away anything you hesitate about I still have stuff unpakced in garage from two years ago - that needs to go to charity shop.

KICK KICK KICK grin

It is cleansing for the soul!

expatinscotland Sun 14-Jun-09 10:06:09

Like Otter, I've moved scores of times.

We spluged on the last move and about about £150 worth of good boxes from IKEA. They fold down and have a proper lid, therefore you don't need packaging tape AND they store dead easily for further moves.

I also invested in SpaceBags. I know they sell them in the UK, but I got mine brought over from the US and I can't recommend them highly enough! They really scrunch stuff down and hold it down.

I use removable labels and a sharpie pen to label the boxes.

We have to move again soon. You have my empathy.

expatinscotland Sun 14-Jun-09 10:09:07

I also actually pack us proper cases, like we're going on holiday, for a week. I pack as if we are camping, too, for real - sleeping bags, towels, travel kettle, the lot.

That way, you're not tearing open boxes looking for your tea cups or plasters.

and you get teh kids involved in treating it like it's a big holiday and not utter shit like it really is .

JustcallmeDog Mon 15-Jun-09 13:50:57

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now