Talk

Advanced search

How to clean a faceted glass door-panel - ideas, please!

(3 Posts)
Terpsichore Sat 13-Jun-09 18:45:15

Our house is a rag-tag mixture of very old, not-so-old, and fairly new - two of the doors are probably early 1900's and have glass panels which are heavily faceted - if you run your fingers along, it's raised on one side in a nubbly pattern of diamond shapes, like decorative pressed glass (the other side is smooth).
Thing is, it's an absolute devil to clean. Because of various building works (don't ask sad) the glass has got the odd obvious paint-splash on, which I've discovered can be removed by very patient scraping away....but the rest of it is cloudy in places as though it's had dust or paint on it in the past and been wiped off, but not very well. Whatever I've tried - including sugar-soap with very hot water, a nail-brush, and plastic scouring pads - I just can't clean it all off. The cloudiness is still there and irritates the heck out of me (silly, I know, but it's a useful displacement technique enabling me to ignore the far more horrendous major building disruptions).

Help! Any ideas?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 13-Jun-09 22:06:07

Alcohol - either drink it or use it to get the stains off the glass wink

Seriously get yourself some meths and a microfibre cloth. That'll see off the worst of it.

Terpsichore Sun 14-Jun-09 12:10:29

Hoorah, thank you! Perhaps the cleaning first, and the drinking afterwards grin best not the other way round....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now